Is my horse overweight?
Dengie Horse Feeds has discovered that many owners are unable to identify whether their horse is overweight.
The online poll on their website revealed that...
- 81% knew how to tell whether their horse is overweight.
- 10% didn't know how to tell.
- 9% weren't sure.
This shows that nearly 20% of horse owners might not be able to tell if their horse is carrying too much weight.
Dengie has also carried out yard clinics, and their findings have showed that...
- More than 20% of owners didn't realise their horse was overweight.
- Perception of normal weight has changed and what's considered normal is now larger than it was 20 or 30 years ago.
- Bigger is often regarded as better in the show ring and dressage arena.
- Fat on topline is sometimes mistaken for muscle tone.
Dengie offers a free yard clinic service to help owners ensure their horses are healthy and not fat, and the nutrition team will bring along a weighbridge and offer advice on how to condition score. If you'd like to arrange a clinic for a minimum of 10 horses, call 0845 345 5115.
14.2hh, Connemara X
Connie is a 14.2hh, dark bay mare, more...
Keep up to date with all the latest news, articles, events and offers sent directly to your email inbox. Sign up today!