To shampoo or not to shampoo - and how often?

Discuss all things horsey - or not - right here!
jimama

To shampoo or not to shampoo - and how often?

Postby jimama » Tue May 18, 2010 11:31 am

How often do you shampoo your horses? A girl at our yard shampoos her horse twice a week without fail, when she goes out to compete - once mid-week and once at the weekend. But surely this is stripping the coat of its natural oils? She also keeps him clipped throughout the summer. The poor horse's coat looks SO lack-lustre, with no nice, natural shine and sheen. If I'm off to a show, I'll hot-towel my boy with a bucket of hot water with a few drops of vinegar in it - the vinegar helps get rid of any extra scurf. Let me know what you all do!

HollyGee

Re: To shampoo or not to shampoo - and how often?

Postby HollyGee » Tue May 18, 2010 1:09 pm

Honestly, this really makes me mad. Horses grow coats for a reason, why on earth does she clip hers in the summer?! Bet she rugs it up the eyeballs as well so it's all hot and sweaty. Poor creature.

With regards to shampooing, I personally only washed my ponies' coats before events, but then I didn't compete twice a week, more like twice a month. If I was to compete more and therefore wanted my pony looking clean and smart, I would wash him every other trip or so, then spot-wash the areas that were particularly dirty the other times, like his tail, fee and any stable stains.

Obviously I'm not a vet but I would have thought it ok to wash your horse with medicated shampoo as prescribed if he has skin problems but otherwise I think they should just be left to enjoy being animals as is this is, after all, what they are.

hessy

Postby hessy » Tue May 18, 2010 2:11 pm

I think a nice bath can really improve the coat but probably would only be most effective if done quite rarely.

I never got to many shows so cant really comment on how often i washed but if i was i would agree with HollyGee. If i was just going out in trailer to a lesson or a clear round jumping or a hack i probably wouldnt give a full bath, probably just tail and spot wash and a bit of hot towelling (all if needed).

Mainly because its a lot of hassle bathing - how can you be bothered?! And this is coming from a person who likes their horse to be clean and smart when going out. lol

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Thu May 20, 2010 9:14 am

I have tried Quistel shampoo which is meant to keep the natural biological balance of the coat, and it really is amazing. Particularly for sensitive skin, or washing more often.

http://www.quistel.com/
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Fri May 21, 2010 10:42 am

I think it's nice to give horses a bath after the winter when they are just finishing losing their coats and are itchy and scurfy. Also when they are have been rubbing a lot and are feeling really itchy. But other than that , I really feel it should be left to special occasions, if the weather is warm enough. I don't see the benefit in washing them all the time because constantly stripping the oils from their coats must leave the hair and skin really dry and out of condition, plus the oil gives them a lovely shine.
Personally I think washing all the time is the lazy way to get your horse clean. There are the odd occasions when soap and water are the only things that will do the job, but I've always been taught that good old elbow grease will get your horse's coat looking it's best. Plus it's a nice treat for you horse to have a good massage from the thorough groom, rather than being left standing dripping wet and cold!

Kate_H&R_AssistantEd

Postby Kate_H&R_AssistantEd » Fri May 21, 2010 10:45 am

Hear hear Snipper. Esp the bit about the elbow grease!!

Return to “General horsey chat”