90% of road riders are traffic shy

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
Soraya_H&R_AssistEd

90% of road riders are traffic shy

Postby Soraya_H&R_AssistEd » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:17 pm

In the February issue of Horse&Rider, we report on how more and more of us are feeling unsafe riding on the roads.

Have you had a good or bad road riding experience?

Share it here!
Follow [url]http://www.twitter.com/HR_insider[/url] for the latest news, gossip and diary dates from the UK's No.1 best-selling equestrian monthly magazine
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1082166_e0beba118d.jpg[/img]

selkie

Re: 90% of road riders are traffic shy

Postby selkie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:04 pm

I've never had too much of a problem. Indy is more of a safety issue than the cars but I realise we are very lucky with the farm roads we use. We do have the "always wear a hat, always wear hi-viz" rule which helps.

Horse Girl

Postby Horse Girl » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:48 am

Generally i have had vey few problems out hacking. Once i was out hacking on my own which i rarely did (i was making my way to the other yard to meet my firend) i got lost and when a car stopped i asked politely for directions. Instead of directions i got a load of abust and was shouted at and told i shouldn't be on the road?!
Anyway i got very upset but made it to the other yard in one piece!

Another time i was hacking with my friend along a country road where we hacked often and a tractor suddenly came right up behind my horse getting impatient because he couldn't over take. My horse started to get very nervy and started to prance around and then my firends horse also strtaed to sppok. But did the tractor back off - of course not he just made the situation worse. Normally the horses had no problems with tractors but i could understand them getting spooked and scared when it was right behind them - who could blame them?!

selkie

Postby selkie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:54 pm

I take it back! I take it ALL back!
Today (while, granted, not a complete disaster) I would gladly never choose to share a road. Cyclists are now the bane of my existence (not all just those who don't understand that a horse might not just be able to turn/halt exactly as required by the cyclist!)!! I mean Indy refused to halt or turn but equally the cyclists wouldn't just quietly cycle past one at a time. She would have been OK with that. Might have saved me from cantering on a road or our YO on a bucking bronco (followed by an elegant, well timed bail-out).
I think she does get the instructions via the bit but just chooses not to listen. I'm using a french link hanging cheek snaffle for the moment, it's fine in the field and over the tiny (almost don't qualify as) jumps I'm just not sure it's enough. Does anyone else think they need extra breaks on the road?

Horse Girl

Postby Horse Girl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:22 pm

I used to find one horse i needed extra brakes in a field! As soon as his feet hit grass we were off in a very fast canter or even a gallop!

Also i have found its not always road users thta are the problem not cyclists, cars or bikes its SHEEP! Oh they are so scary! Demon clouds with legs! Very funny unless you are trotting along a road and come to a dead stop for no apparent reason until you realise there is a field by the road which we rode past All the time with sheeo in but once the sheep are by the road its a different story - thats when they turn into demon clouds with legs!

Anyone else had funny things happen whilst on a road?

Dawn

Postby Dawn » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:13 pm

As a carriage driver I definately feel traffic has changed over the years (everyone in a rush). My pony is a shetland. Meaning we are not that big and can not go that fast. I always wear high viz and would not drive in rush hour!! Taking up much of the road means cars often get stuck behind us and I always feel I am the one that should not be there. Due to the fact that there is not any off road driving available to us we have no choice but to venture out on the road!! There is a green patch near us and i have found a way to get on it (prob not allowed so its a secret) avoiding the posts and ditches. What a fab lovely free feeling its amazing for both me and my pony. UNTILL!!!You get a loose dog totally out of controll giving us a race!! My pony and I just can't win. Lol! Actually have to admit motorists after whizzing up our bottoms are actually more polite than the dog owners!

Return to “Hacking happiness”