Acupuncture for horses

Has an alternative therapy helped your horse, or perhaps you're considering hone? Discuss the alternative world here
Big Brown Horses

Acupuncture for horses

Postby Big Brown Horses » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:00 pm

I have an older horse who carries quite a few injuries from his eventing days, but is always keen and willing to work. To keep him comfortable without drugs the physiotherapist recommended I should try acupuncture. Being a little skeptical about things like this I thought about it for a while before deciding to give it a go - what a transformation, he's a different horse.

dominochase

Re: Acupuncture for horses

Postby dominochase » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:43 am

I'd love to try this. What exactly did it involve on the day?
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:34 pm

One of the horses on a yard I used to work on had acupuncture. He loved it and looked so relaxed - he was usually very tense and aggressive. However, one day the vet got called out on an emergency and left me to take them out when the treatment was over. It was horrible!!!!

Big Brown Horses

Postby Big Brown Horses » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:25 pm

Snipper that sounds awful. Thankfully the vet I use is freelance by appointment only, so no emergency callouts. She is really strict on counting the needles out to ensure none have fallen in the bed, and I'm sure she would never allow me to remove them.

IndiesaurusRex

Postby IndiesaurusRex » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:34 pm

I did my Year 10 work experience with a family friend who does acupuncture, and I personally think it's brilliant! I had so much fun, and the clients and horses were lovely. I really was converted to acupuncture, the horses were so relaxed and dozy during and after the treatment, they were practically falling asleep!!
Definitely a great treatment!

angelica fernandes
The SECOND number please: 3

Postby angelica fernandes » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:53 am

More and more veterinarians, pet owners and health professionals are trying their hand at acupuncture for horses. It used to be that acupuncture was only used on humans but it is becoming more popular to see it being used for pets as well as large animals. Acupuncture was developed thousands of years ago in Ancient China and is used widely to help people that suffer with chronic pain as well as for improving overall health. One of the main advantages of acupuncture for horses is that it can help to treat pain as well as lameness. It has been found that by using acupuncture on a horse with an injured limb, the pain is relieved and the healing time is accelerated. This keeps horses from having to go through a long and painful recovery. The main idea of acupuncture to help balance out ones "Chi" or energy flow. This allows the body to heal much faster. It allows people as well as horses to have more balance in their overall health. The acupuncture helps to redirect ones energy flow which can help with a variety of medical issues.
[url=http://www.zichhi.com/]e liquid[/url]

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:31 pm

Eugh - gives me shudders down my spine just thinking about it. I'm sure it works for some people and horses, but having had acupuncture myself once, I would never do it to my horse. Maybe I had it done wrong but I could feel some of the pins and they creep me out to this day! It was about 8 or 9 years ago!

Return to “Alternative therapies”