All things doggy!

Discuss all things horsey - or not - right here!
Lucinda

Re: All things doggy!

Postby Lucinda » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:57 pm

I leave my dog in the car in the shade when I have to, but I always leave the windows open and she comes riding with me, so she is quite lucky! However, a friend of mine left her dog in her car - with the windows open - while she went off shopping for 20 minutes. When she came back her dog was dead! She was obviously mortified, so I truly urge people to take this seriously.

I love at the major horse trials on hot days where they report dogs in hot cars and announce it over the tannoy.

HorseyGirl

Postby HorseyGirl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:31 pm

OH MY GOD thats awful! how old was the dog?

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:21 am

That is awful. I have heard that cars can get as hot as 100 degrees within 20 minutes on a hot day. A canine first aid course I went on recently quoted that if a dog reaches over 45 degrees the fat cells in the body begin to break down and actually turn white. And when that happens there is no way of reversing it...
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

HollyGee

Postby HollyGee » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:30 am

OMG the dog was dead? That's horrendous and yes, I agree it's really good when shows remind these people that this can happen. That's really gross about the fat cells, what a horrible way to go.
Obviously most owners love their doggies, it's not that they are being deliberately cruel, it's usually just ignorance.

Dingbat

Postby Dingbat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:42 am

I don't have a dog, so from a fairly impartial perspective some breeds of dog seem to be more demanding than children or horses as they become so fixated on their owners and don't seem able to cope when they're left, wherever they are - or whoever they're with. It strikes me, that if you want to have a dog and a horse - they need to be compatible.

I regularly ride out with a working Cocker, and he's great. Other gun dogs also seem to get the horse scene and learn to behave out riding which negates the need to leave them in hot cars.

However I also think dog owners can be unsympathetic to other horse owners on yards. They seem to think that just because you've got a horse, you should be happy with any number of four-legged animals running around, when in reality - riding should be all about the horses.

pukkapony

Postby pukkapony » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:35 pm

I don't have a car and am lucky enough to live on site (for the summer) where I keep my horses however the solution I used to have when I went out hacking before I lived on site was to leave my dog in my horses stable. She had shade and a comfy place to lie down, access to water, people around to keep an eye on her and essentaily she was safe. My yard does allow dogs off lead, providing they have proven to be trusted around the horses. But its just not practical to take the dog everywhere!

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:46 pm

Hi pukkapony,

That is a really great idea. I've often wondered whether that would work well! My dog is a huge jumper so I'm certain he would be over the stable door in no time! Maybe i'll trade him for something smaller and less energetic... like a cute little pug... (I'm just kidding – I love him too much)
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]

HollyGee

Postby HollyGee » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:25 pm

Keeping the dog in the stable is SUCH a good idea!! Why don't more people do this??! You are essentially renting the stale if at livery so surely leaving your dog instead of your horse when you're out hacking should be allowed? Perhaps yards should say to dog owners that they cando this. Domino Chase, if your dog would jump out, why not shut the top half....??! THen he can still walk around, stretch his legs etc?

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:43 am

That is a very good point. I may very well try it next time i'm at the yard!

I've also considered leaving him in the tack room. I have a massive crate (it was the biggest I could find, and is designed to be big enough for a Pyrenean Mountain dog) and so if I thought he was going to cause mischief he could go in there, and still have enough room to move around and get comfortable for the hour I'm riding in the school.
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]

kylie

Postby kylie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:28 pm

Excellent idea about leaving the dog(s) in a stable while riding. Though with the top door shut it could easily become very hot - especially tin roof stables and in the heat wave (in Somerset anyway) we're experiencing at the moment. An anti-weave grill with an infill could solve this maybe?? And be cheaper than a Barjo!

I'm lucky enough to have free livery on family land so having my (horse friendly) dogs there isnt a problem but I can understand how difficult it must be when dogs aren't allowed.

My dogs also come out hacking with me, off lead, which is great exercising everyone all at once! lol. http://www.horsemart.co.uk/horse/_the_boys_/4514

Return to “General horsey chat”