All things doggy!

Discuss all things horsey - or not - right here!
horse_girl

Re: All things doggy!

Postby horse_girl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:49 pm

I was riding last night in the school, and someone was walking past with their dog and it just wouldn't stop barking! My horse gets easily distracted so his head was in the air and he actually got quite spooky. I wish people would be more considerate about where they take their dogs if they know it is hyperactive and yappy, especially if they don't know how some horses are going to react. Yes they might actually be 'harmless', but horses don't know that!!!!!!!!!

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:14 am

That is unfortunate horse_girl because people really should be more considerate with their dogs. Hearing about things like that annoy me, because the bad behaviour of that one person reflects on all of us dog owners.

I do think however that some dogs won't improve unless they experience a horsey environment and learn it's really not that exciting/ scary, but this should be done in a controlled manner, with horses that are used to dogs, with the owners permission. Not just when the dog-owner feels like it with no consideration for anyone else.

Did you say something to the dog-owner, maybe they didn't realise they were causing your horse to react?
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

horse_girl

Postby horse_girl » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:17 am

Did you say something to the dog-owner, maybe they didn't realise they were causing your horse to react?
No I couldn't really as it was the yard owner!! They did apologise, but that does nothing when your horse is throwing a wobbly. They really should have known better

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:40 pm

No I couldn't really as it was the yard owner!! They did apologise, but that does nothing when your horse is throwing a wobbly. They really should have known better
You have no hope then if they are setting such a bad example! I hope they will at least be more considerate next time!
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

Scally

Postby Scally » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:50 am

I have just started to take my Yorkie up to the yard where my mum keeps her horse. He goes off lead and has a merry time with the other dogs. I do worry about him around the horses as he is so small, but he seems to be rather smart around them. He loves to go up and kiss the horses on the nose. The majority of the horses there are really gentle, apart from my sisters horse who isnt much of a fan, but I just make sure that my dog is with me. He has had to have 3 baths in the last couple of weeks though as he smells really bad!
Im very lucky that my mum works from home. So he is looked after and walked at lunch. The max time he gets left alone is 3hours. He hates being in the car on his own and I wouldn't bring him to work as he would really hate it. Some dogs prefer it, but I know he would rather be at home with the cat and the double bed to stretch out on!

Return to “General horsey chat”