Beach riding

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
greyhorse

Beach riding

Postby greyhorse » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:28 am

I have never, ever ridden on a beach. How sad is that? I'm stumped on finding a horse friendly beach that I can bring my horse to. I'd even consider making a holiday of it and stabling somewhere so we may be able to go a little further in our search! Any suggestions?

Kaliska

Re: Beach riding

Postby Kaliska » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:29 am

I rode on the beach about 4 years ago down at Hayling Island. You can only ride there after September though so it was freezing as we went down in the evening.

It was great fun though - my horse normally loves water but he's scared of waves so he skips sideways over them trying to find somewhere without waves to roll (not that I let him!)

greyhorse

Postby greyhorse » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:20 am

Wow! Sounds fantastic. I've emailed a contact on Hayling Island to learn more. A roll in the surf sounds like a good treat at the end of a few gallops. I hear salt water is great for their legs, too.

drache

Postby drache » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:27 pm

Try your local Endurance riding club , they sometimes hold Beach rides so at least you have some company as well.

pukkapony

Postby pukkapony » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:48 pm

Would anyone be interested in hiring a horse trailer and heading off to a beach for a days riding? I have the horse just no transport! I’m based in Maidstone, Kent.

Email me: pukkapony@hotmail.co.uk if you’re interested.

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:05 pm

i would suggest Tal-y-foel riding school on Angelsey, North wales. ive been there three times now and you can either hire horses to take on the beach (which is what ive always done) or you can take your own and stay in one of theyre holiday cottages. fantastic beach on the menai straights, looking out to canerfon castle. the horses are so well looked after and all the riding instructors who take you out are great!!

Alternatively, if your looking for a bigger holiday idea, try a ranch in california!! i went this summer and it was absolutely fantastic! we stayed in a lovely B&B about 200 miles north of san francisco and rode at a place called ricochet ranch. it was so lovely because you hear of people miss treating theyre horses in some ranches but ours were in perfect health and exquisitly behaved. we had 2 hours on the mountians where we saw a huge variety of wildlife and then 2 hours on 10 mile beach which was amazing!!! i would go back there any day seriously the most amazing place ive ever been in my life.

fattywawa

Postby fattywawa » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:14 am

[quote="greyhorse"]I have never, ever ridden on a beach. How sad is that? I'm stumped on finding a horse friendly beach that I can bring my horse to. I'd even consider making a holiday of it and stabling somewhere so we may be able to go a little further in our search! Any suggestions?[/quote]

Locally [ish] West Whittering, I believe you can take ponies there, a friend of mine is off there on Saturday to see how good it is. Will update later!

Or further a field Milom in Cumbria! Fantastic!!!

Scally

Postby Scally » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:12 pm

Fattywawa - Ive been riding on West Wittering, years ago and its really good. Need to find out about times you are allowed on and tides etc. A friend and I had a great time and swapped horses and went swimming. Then had a breakfast BBQ by the lorry afterwards. Such a great day.

HorseyGirl

Postby HorseyGirl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:41 am

Hello greyhorse.
I would suggest the beautiful beaches of cornwall. There is plenty of liverys and b n b's and holiday cottages. I ride loads on the beaches and it is amazing...

Lollypops

Postby Lollypops » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:20 pm

Aww thats soo sad! I take where i am for granted! I ride on the beach around twice a week, around 5 times a week in holidays, when i loaned my old horse we never went anywhere other than the beach, where he was schooled as well. Theres no rules to riding on our beaches and they go on for miles and miles. Last week the RS set up a natural jumping course in the dunes. I really hope you get to the beach as its wonderful and you'll have so much fun!

Return to “Hacking happiness”