Books to grow up to...

Discuss and review the best horsey books around
Soraya_H&R_AssistEd

Books to grow up to...

Postby Soraya_H&R_AssistEd » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:34 am

I read a whole selection of horse books, but the ones that seem to stick in my mind are the ones I read as a child.

My favourites were The Saddle Club by Bonnie Bryant, The series about Jinny and her chestnut arab by Patricia Leitch, The Black Stallion series (I read them all!) and A Horse Called Wonder by Joanna Campball.

What were your favourites?
Follow [url]http://www.twitter.com/HR_insider[/url] for the latest news, gossip and diary dates from the UK's No.1 best-selling equestrian monthly magazine
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1082166_e0beba118d.jpg[/img]

Kate_H&R_AssistantEd

Re: Books to grow up to...

Postby Kate_H&R_AssistantEd » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:00 pm

Almost too many to mention! I DEVOURED pony books as a child!

Loved all the Jill books, the Pullein-Thompson sisters' books (esp Phantom Horse, Prince Among Ponies, Riding with the Lyntons), K.M. Peyton's Fly By Night, and Shelia Chapman's Pony From Fire and the Mystery Pony.

Am tempted to go into the attic and dig them out again now!

Any others I've missed out in the list of the legendary horsey stories...?

Lucinda

Postby Lucinda » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Jill books were definitely the best of all. I liked First Ride, Second Mount and Three to Ride. Can't remember who wrote those, but they were about a boy called David. Also liked the Jackie books, too.

Mel_H&R_WebsiteEd

Postby Mel_H&R_WebsiteEd » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:48 pm

I had about 30 Saddle Club books when I was a kid - they were definitely my favourite.
But the Jill books were fantastic, who can forget Captain Cholly-Sawcutt, La Blonde and Mrs Crosby (N.R.T.B)?!

I also loved a pony club series, although I can't for the life of me remember what it is called. It involved the Rooker sisters, and a kid called Harry on an uncontrollable horse! And an ex-jockey with a limp was their trainer... Sounds lame, but actually very good! Does anyone else remember those?

I wonder if kids these days love Saddle Club et al as much as we did - and if they still read the Jill books. Nowadays I guess it's all about Tilly's Pony Tails, which Pippa Funnell writes.

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Tue May 04, 2010 2:35 pm

Gosh so many good kids books in this thread! I loved the Saddle Club and the TV series just never quite cut it for me. The books were sooooooo much better.

Some of my favourite books were ones that were handed down to me from my mum. I particularly remember her prized Thelwell books, which I dutifully cared for, and my brother then attacked with felt tips.
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

Kate_H&R_AssistantEd

Postby Kate_H&R_AssistantEd » Wed May 05, 2010 10:54 am

Mine were all handed down to me by my mum as well - not forgetting the prized Thelwell books!!! I also have (think it's still there) a PONY annual from about 1960 or thereabouts and a few other annual-type books come to think of it.

H&R_Editor

Postby H&R_Editor » Wed May 26, 2010 9:15 am

Janet Rising who edits Horse&Rider's sister magazine, PONY, has just written a fab new series of pony books called The Pony Whisperer. I know because I have read the first three of them! I have been reliving my childhood and enjoying every minute of it. If you want to do the same, you will find them in all good book shops.

Anna

Postby Anna » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:05 pm

I loved the Jill books, and Animal Ark ones too...did no-one read the 'Silver Brumby' books? they were definately my favourites!

Soraya_H&R_AssistEd

Postby Soraya_H&R_AssistEd » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:53 pm

I read the Silver Brumby books! I had completely forgotten about them – they were great!

Also loved The Animal Ark books, 'Pony on the Porch', 'Kittens in the Kitchen' etc.

This thread is bringing back so many memories... ahh to be a child again...
Follow [url]http://www.twitter.com/HR_insider[/url] for the latest news, gossip and diary dates from the UK's No.1 best-selling equestrian monthly magazine
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1082166_e0beba118d.jpg[/img]

HollyGee

Postby HollyGee » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:15 am

I also really loved the 'My Friend Flika' trilogy as well - the whole cowboy/wild white stallion-type thing made me want to escape to the Wild West!!

Return to “Horse&Rider Book Club”