Breeding during the credit crunch

Talk studs, breeding, broodmares and foals
Lucinda

Breeding during the credit crunch

Postby Lucinda » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:45 pm

I have to say I think people should be really careful about deciding whether to breed a foal to sell at the moment. With charities expecting to take in more and more rescue cases and horse sales dropping, I think it is quite irresponsible to be bringing new - potentially unwanted - horses into the world.

Kaliska

Re: Breeding during the credit crunch

Postby Kaliska » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:19 am

Surely it depends on what they are being bred for? Being bred to be kept as a personal horse is fine surely? It's just all the people out there trying to breed for gain, of which there isn't much at the moment. The prices of foals for sale is dropping, at least in the circles I know, and a lot of people are struggling to sell last year's foals, but this years batch were already in foal before the credit crunch hit.

horse_girl

Postby horse_girl » Mon May 11, 2009 2:59 pm

I think that's even worse! People are thinking 'I can't afford another horse so I'll go for the cheap option and breed a foal from my mare'. However, they could be totally ignorant as to what breeding a. involves, b. actually costs (more than you might think!) and c. how much time it takes up. It's a lot of work, endless visits from the vet and even then, you're not going to realise the fruits of your mare's labour until at least 5 years down the line when it's been backed and ready to start work proper.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:44 pm

I agree, indiscriminate breeding is bad, especially as there are so many horse who need homes at the moment. And just wanting a replica of your mare is daft, too, unless she's virtually perfect temperamentally and physically...why breed trouble when you can buy it cheaper?

summerguest

Postby summerguest » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:49 am

I am considering breeding my tb mare to a top stallion next year. Its the right time in my life to do it, as I've always wanted the experience and I have the facilities etc. I am aiming to breed the foal for myself and see me out to the end of my riding 'life'. I see it as a rewarding life experience...ok with risks, and no financial gain........I think that is different to breeding as a business.

greyhorse

Postby greyhorse » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:02 am

If this is going to be 'your last horse', I personally think breeding to get it is very risky. Why not buy a horse who is already doing what you would like to do, and continue merrily doing so together? If these are the last years you are going to be riding, what a shame it would be to gamble them away on a horse you haven't met, might not get along with, might be too much for you?

summerguest

Postby summerguest » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:53 pm

A good point, but then I have bought a youngster before which I then had to sell 6 years later as she didn't reach the height expected and couldn't cope with the weight I'd put on while having children. I had to sell her as I really was too big for her, any other issue that was not a problem for her she would still be with me today. None of my horses are perfect but they are my 'life' and I couldn't part with them....to me it would be a bit like giving one of my children away cos they didn't quite make the grade.
I think if you have a set idea of what sort of horse you want and what you want to do with it, then its best to buy. If its the experience of breeding and raising your own foal that appeals, then you are not doing it just to get a horse. Nothing in life is guarenteed. I once purchased a beautiful horse that ran around the field the next day, slipped and broke its leg and had to be destroyed. Whether you decide to breed from your own mare is a decission only you can make, and I think its not a decission to be made lightly, but it doesn't mean if that person decides to go ahead that it is autimatically a wrong decission.

pukkapony

Postby pukkapony » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:26 pm

Summerguest, I could not agree more with your idea, I think it will be a fantastic life experience and one that you cant just buy pre-made. Breeding and raising is a whole new experience and I wish you the best of luck in doing so. Make sure you keep us all updated on how things are going. Maybe keep a 'life diary' aswell as a keepsake for years to come. I think it would be lovely to be able to show your grandchildren and great grandchildren the joys of your horsy life!

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:22 pm

I'd love to breed at some point, although I do feel guilty about the many horses searching for new homes.

However, with the right guidance, home-bred horses can turn out great, but with the wrong upbringing they can be a nightmare! As long as you educate yourself, get experience working with youngsters and have some experienced help on hand on site or even at the end of the phone, then you will be ok. Like everything horsey, I think it's about not being scared to ask for help when you are not sure... of course, those of you who are thinking about breeding might already have this experience, if so great!
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

Return to “Studs, breeding, broodmares and foals!”