Cantering Help!

Searching for the right instructor? Need some schooling advice? Share your experiences and ask others for help
Amy
The SECOND number please: 99

Cantering Help!

Postby Amy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:27 pm

I am very new to canter, I did start last year but I fell off of my horse and it shattered my confidence. Last Sunday my riding instructor persuaded me to try 3 strides of canter which I did but I very tense and panicky how can I stop myself becoming in a state and actually enjoy canter.

Ukkey

Re: Cantering Help!

Postby Ukkey » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:59 am

Matsering a canter can take from a few weeks to several months its all about finding your own rythm and not letting the horse take controll even in a canter you have full control.

The main thing is to go into a canter smoothly, make sure your trot is swift but not over pased and keep those heels down, also your not going to fall off if you know how to sit practice your seat, so shoulders back and hips loose.

Its kinda hard to explain but ask your instructor how to correctly canter maybe if your informed on how to do it in a 'buisness like manner' you may feel more comforatble? Also don't predict the canter think abotu somthing else whilst riding liek what your going to have for dinner, then it creates less worry.

Just tell yourself you can do it and you will eventualy get it, it just takes time.

Amy

Re: Cantering Help!

Postby Amy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:49 pm

Thank you! :) I am cantering alot more now and my instructor is taking it slow with me as she doesnt want me to go back to square one. But thank you for advice I shall take it on board and see where it takes me :)

Return to “Lessons and training”