Competition horror story? Share yours!

From preparation and plaiting to coping with show-day nerves! Share your competitive life experiences here
Snipper

Re: Competition horror story? Share yours!

Postby Snipper » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:47 pm

Years ago I borrowed a horse from my riding school to go to a local show with several others. I'd only been to a couple of shows before and never on this horse, however, other people at the yard had jumped him at shows and had done well. I was a bag of nerves, but kept telling myself that Minstrel was great at jumping and all I had to do was go in there and jump the jumps. However, my turn came and I was so nervous I could hardly breathe, let alone think. I seemed to forget how to ride and we refused every jump we came to until we were eliminated. Everyone was watching and it was clear that my terrible riding was to blame – I was so embarrassed!

cloudybay

Postby cloudybay » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:51 am

I was completely mortified at the weekend to discover that I had gone wrong in my dressage test and it cost me the win I needed for qualification for the Regionals. The motto is 'Don't forget your dressage test!'

Highhertsstables45

Postby Highhertsstables45 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:13 am

In my first showjumping competition some idiot in the crowd forgot to turn the flash of his camera, spooked my horse with the light and he reared and I fell off. After the show had ended. I asked the course owner if I could go round once for fun because we got disqualified and we did it perfectly! no faults and a pretty fast time! :D

H&R_Editor

Postby H&R_Editor » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:37 pm

I was once offered a friend's gymkhana pony to take to a show because my friend was on holiday. This was before I had a good gymkhana pony of my own - in fact my pony Cassie was scared of all the equipment and wouldn't go near it! I was really excited that my friend's pony Prince might help me fulfill one of my dreams which was to win a gymkhana points trophy. However, on the morning of the show, we spent three hours trying to catch Prince and still no success. In the end I had to resort to taking Cassie and accept that I would come last in every race again! Fortunately, though, dear little Cassie really shone that day and we won our first points trophy. I will never forget that day and it taught me a big lesson.

Soraya_H&R_AssistEd

Postby Soraya_H&R_AssistEd » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:53 pm

Just after I got my very green five-year-old cob, my yard decided to have a friendly dressage competition. I was very excited and my parents even came down for moral support. I spent hours making him beautiful(ish) and was ready to take part.

We walked into the arena and his eyes were on stalks. Our first ever dressage test. In their wisdom, the judges had decided to set up chairs in the gateway to the school. I think we managed about the first three movements before the idea of dressage blew his mind – he made a run for the gate and jumped the judges and their chairs as they scattered. Needless to say, dressage did not turn out to be his forte.
Follow [url]http://www.twitter.com/HR_insider[/url] for the latest news, gossip and diary dates from the UK's No.1 best-selling equestrian monthly magazine
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1082166_e0beba118d.jpg[/img]

chrissyh

Postby chrissyh » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:45 am

Ugh. Even thinking about this brings back bad memories. I was in a showjumping competition with my first pony. I was really nervous, and was only concentrating on the jumps. My pony shot off, and I was thinking: I've got to go clear. So I was pretty happy when my pony soared over the first fence, until I realised we were going the wrong way! We'd jumped the fifth fence, or something, instead if the first. I was mortified!
[color=#0000BF]A horse doesn't care what you know until he knows that you care.[/color]

Ecb+Doodlebug

Postby Ecb+Doodlebug » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:48 pm

on the day of the local hunter trials over the road from me, me, mum and the horse walked on the other side of the hedge from the starting post where all the competitors were standing (we needed to or we won't have got in), But my horse decided to neigh at them loudly.
Unfortunately, one pony was just going when it heard us and bolted in surprise, and the rider came off! luckily, nobody saw us and we slipped round the back way (the front way has a fence off path with cattle-grid) unnoticed!
We saw this pony running round uncaught and to this day, I am sooo sorry, whoever it was.....

Absolute_shambles
The SECOND number please: 3

Postby Absolute_shambles » Wed May 23, 2012 11:33 am

Jumping a clients horse in a British Novice and completely forgetting the course, absolute blank.

Sitting in the back of this youngster wondering where the hell to go next.

Horrid...

CookieComeTrue
The SECOND number please: 3

Postby CookieComeTrue » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:23 pm

I was at a show with my cousin. We'd entered the 65cm showjumping, and I was up first. My horse, Cookie, isn't Latina De Courthoe. He just couldn't be bothered, and cantered straight through the fences. That's not the worst bit!!
Finally, my cousin got called out. The speaker said: 'now we have Abigail Tomblingson, riding Woodsman Laddie. Now, Abigail's cousin wasn't very good, since her horse cantered through all the fences.'
My cousin won, and whilst she was doing her lap of honour, I looked stupid!

Sammy
The SECOND number please: 99

Postby Sammy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:52 am

I once took a local riding school pony to a big country show near my house. The pony (who I shall not name and shame :lol: ) had behaved impeccably throughout the past few weeks of practice and decided to be a little monkey when we got to the show!

So we went into the ring and there was hundreds of people watching (most taking pictures) - horse went in and started off really well until I asked him to canter at which he decided he'd mess around and start bucking. :roll: He then reared up and left the ring twice!! (I kept taking him back in) and eventually we finished the class. (Which was family pony - which he clearly was not) :?

Everybody came back into the ring and started walking on the outline waiting to be called in, needless to say, we were not placed :oops: although I did receive a ' special ' rosette for 'effort and good riding' :lol:

I also got some lovely photo's :D

Return to “Competitive life”