Competition horror story? Share yours!

From preparation and plaiting to coping with show-day nerves! Share your competitive life experiences here
admin
Site Admin

Competition horror story? Share yours!

Postby admin » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Sharing your worst competition horror story with other riders is like therapy - and it's free! Tell us about the time you forgot your test, jumped out of the dressage arena, cantered around the car park - and nobody at home understood. Go on, show us your worst!

greyhorse

Re: Competition horror story? Share yours!

Postby greyhorse » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:14 pm

I once split the back seam in my jods at a competition - and a friend's mom stitched them back together, while I was wearing them outside the collecting ring, in front of everyone, so I could get back on and ride the next class. I had a very conservative position over the fences in that round, let me tell you!

James

Postby James » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:46 pm

OK - poor you Greyhorse, that sounds so embarrassing. At an event last summer, my mum came to watch and just before I was about to go into the dressage phase, she started spit washing me in front of my friends. Honestly!!! I could have died! I now make sure she sits on the side lines, and have bought her one of those little walking stick chair things, so she gets seated before I start. She's great really, but I will always be her little boy, despite the fact I am now well into my 20s.

Beanie93

Postby Beanie93 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:14 pm

I was at a local unafil dressage competition and I was doing three tests, so i was already a little confused! I had learnt them all but my mum was still going to read them for me. I had just turned down the centre line and my mum called "at C track left", so what did i do- i turned right! I was devastated! Luckily the rest of test went well and i still got a place! Before my tests now i make sure I know my exactly where i'm going!

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:48 am

The last local dressage competition I did, my horse started out really well, until we got to the judge's car where he spooked, farted and leapt sideways. I couldn't get back any control for the rest of the test and needless to say ended up being eliminated as he would not go anywhere near their car again!

jadine

Postby jadine » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:51 am

I completely understand getting nervous and forgetting things! I did the same at my riding school show. I'd studied the jump course they set up, and even though I completed it with a clear round, I'd managed to do the whole thing in reverse order! Maybe I'm equine dyslexic! I still got a rosette for effort though!

greyhorse

Postby greyhorse » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:53 am

There is nothing wrong with participation awards!

drache

Postby drache » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:41 pm

Having practiced in a corner of a farm field for months to learn to do a dressage test, i finally turned up to a fairly posh comp only to find my pony was terrified of the fancy arena ropes, thinking they were some enormous white snake. After an agonising 10 minutes of getting him actually into the arena, he went round the whole test at " shoulder in " so that he could keep a beady eye on it snorting as he went!

cloudybay

Postby cloudybay » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:49 am

In my early days of dressage test riding, I did the whole of the canter movements on one rein on the wrong leg and didn't even realise. Needless to say I got three zeros for that section and the judge wrote, perhaps you should stick to walk and trot tests if you don't realise when you horse is on the wrong canter leg! Mortified!!!

Kate_H&R_AssistantEd

Postby Kate_H&R_AssistantEd » Thu May 06, 2010 9:10 am

I was at an Affil SJ comp back in the 90s when I was in Juniors, and I think it was a Newcomers course.

The girl before me rode in and began jumping a nice, clear round. Suddenly right by the collecting ring, her pony spooked, bucked and bolted away from the crowd across the ring.

The girl managed to stay put for a second or two, finally lost her balance and fell. However, her foot went right through her stirrup and she was tossed about like a ragdoll, under the pony, hitting the ground and any jumps they passed. It was horrifying to watch as the pony was in full gallop, panicking.

Finally they came to a stop and someone managed to catch them, the girl hanging upside down by one leg. She was unhooked, whisked away to the medics but later on the commentator announced that, miraculously, she was absolutely fine.

I have to say, it was rather nerve-wracking going straight in the ring after having witnessed that!

Return to “Competitive life”