Ex hurdler

NAF is a UFAS accredited supplement company, and can help with nutrition and feeding queries
Bumble

Ex hurdler

Postby Bumble » Mon May 24, 2010 12:13 pm

I have an ex hurdler irish, 16.3 and he is about to do his first ODE. I was wondering if you have any recommendations for helping him build up his top line.

Expert_NAF_Nutrition

Re: Ex hurdler

Postby Expert_NAF_Nutrition » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:50 am

Hi,

Thank you for your enquiry. Good top line is mainly muscle, and therefore it can only really be achieved through the right sort of fitness regime. Long steady work, with plenty of hill work if possible, will help.

Of course it's important to support the horse with the right diet, which will give him the nutritional tools to build good muscle. Any horse's diet should be based on fibre, and this is no different with an eventer as it is for a happy hacker. Choose a good quality, relatively high energy fibre, such as an alfalafa, which will not only provide fibre but also a good chunk of his energy and protein needs. At this time of year if he has access to good quality grazing he may not need much else to meet his energy needs (even for eventing), but if he does need a bit more fuel then choose a suitable concentrate feed for stamina energy. If he's not on the full ration of concentrate feed then a suitable supplement will be required to ensure he's getting all the essential vitamins and minerals for performance. I would recommend putting him on NAF Pink Powder, our concentrated feed balancer, which will help to encourage perfect condition in all working horses.
For horses in hard work, such as eventers, it's imperative that you remember to replace his body salts which will be lost in sweat. Access to a salt lick, such as NAF Himalayan Salt Lick, is sufficient for day to day needs. But when he's worked hard and sweated up NAF Electrosalts would be recommend to replace all the body salts lost through sweat.

I hope this has answered your question. Any further questions or queries please do contact us again, and please let us know how you and your horse get on at your event - remember, we always love to see pictures!

Kind regards,

Kate

Kate Jones, Snr Nutritionist. NAF

Return to “NAF Nutritionists”