Fitness hacking

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
greyhorse

Fitness hacking

Postby greyhorse » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:11 pm

Do you hack for fitness, enjoy a nice plod around or both? I love hacking as it is a break from the school, my horse is forward going and there are great places around us to have a good gallop. But, if we go for a long walking hack, his legs are show-room perfect for days afterwards. What is better for him? Lots of running around, good for heart, lungs and general fitness, or lots of walking, great for legs, tone and mental stability?

pukkapony

Re: Fitness hacking

Postby pukkapony » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:29 pm

I think I have an overall balance of everything there.... I do hack for pleasure but also to school and to keep my horses focused and on the ball.

I dont have a school to use at the moment anyway so hacking is my work and play all rolled into one!

I think a good healthy combination of fast paced gallops and gentle relaxed walks is the way to go to improve your horse. Dont forget lots of challenges, maybe next time instead of going round that fallen tree jump it to keep your horse on his toes, or maybe take the smaller and longer tree infested bridleway then tackle those scary sheep in the field you always avoid!

Its not just about physical fitness but mental too.... keep up the good work greyhorse! x

hessy

Postby hessy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:07 pm

I agree with pukkapony - a mixture of both is great!!

Although i have to say i love a good plod. With my elderly pony i sat with her on the buckle and plodded round the roads and then every grass verge we went for a wee canter (she wasnt as strong as she used to be so brakes were no bother, you would hardly have needed reins - although saying that she did have her moments when she felt good)
We also went into fields for a bit of a blast and on tracks and stuff. I liked to go fast on her whenever possible as i felt so confident on her.

On my last pony i used to canter on lanes and tracks on hacks and i even plucked up the courage to go into fields for a teeny canter occasionally - i was very proud of myself as he was prone to a bit of a buck and im a nervous wreck. Thankfully he behaved himself!

But yeah, i love a good old plod and a natter to your mates - best thing about horse riding ever lol!!

Brave'nChompy

Postby Brave'nChompy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:24 pm

Both, a plod is a great way to relax. But having a gallop up a stubble field or through the woods is great too.

I am without a school at the moment, so spend time practicing shoulder in, leg yield, and bum in up the country lanes, I do loads of transitions too, everything from a very collected trot to as much of an extended trot as we can get, as well as the usual walk trot walk etc... its amazing what you can do really.

lemmethink

Postby lemmethink » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:58 pm

I love fast hacks on our own, but honestly prefer to walk if there are more than three or four riders. Getting squashed into trees is not nice! Two or three is a great number to go out with, and I think the horses like it, too

Return to “Hacking happiness”