Got a great idea for a feature?

Discuss all things horsey - or not - right here!
Irishcobfan

Re: Got a great idea for a feature?

Postby Irishcobfan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:00 pm

I've already posted here recently so I hope no-one thinks I'm trying to hog the thread! Recently I completed a quiz from World Horse Welfare about " Are we a still a nation of horse lovers" and I've been trying to think of other ways to help them. I know H&R have run articles about the work these good people have done abroad but I would really like to see an article based on the work here in the UK. I want to know what really causes neglect of horses in this country and what happens to unwanted horses who suffer from being bought without reasonable knowledge or experience. I worry about them ending up transported abroad for meat or suffering abandoned in a field. I also worry about the horses who don't make the grade in equestrian sports such as racing or those who are not perfect enough in studs.I think having the knowledge available about what really goes on would help people make informed choices about what their money really buys into in the horse world and help to end suffering or needless "wasting" of lives.

Soraya_H&R_AssistEd

Postby Soraya_H&R_AssistEd » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:46 am

Hi Irishcobfan,

You're not hogging the thread at all! Please keep the ideas coming! I agree that learning more about charity work here in the UK would be really interesting (I really enjoy learning more when I put together our charities page!) I will pass your suggestion over to our Editor, Nicky.

Thanks again.

Soraya
Follow [url]http://www.twitter.com/HR_insider[/url] for the latest news, gossip and diary dates from the UK's No.1 best-selling equestrian monthly magazine
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1082166_e0beba118d.jpg[/img]

Hey Hey

Postby Hey Hey » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:39 pm

For me it would really help if there was some information on training ponies/horses and solving problems. I ride a 12.1hh pony who had suffured neglect, bullying, un-fair treatment and general abuse. He was a first project so it was really trile and error when backing, starting and training him if you know what I mean.

He is 6/7 we think (not sure if this is relevant) and he is still being trained. It would be a real help if i could have some information on training him. For example, he has developed a habit when jumping in the field to go over a jump, land in a strong canter and charge up to his shelter. We are in the proses of stopping/preventing him from doing this. Any ideas? He has also developed other problems so just general training tips and problem solving tips please.

I would really appreciate anything like what i have suggested and I am sure other readers would benefit too.

Hey Hey

Postby Hey Hey » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:31 pm

I have had anouther idea - a list of horsey things on TV and when. This would really help me. Not just equestrian on Sky or H&C but paying attention to normal freeview channels. There is never enough horsey things on TV!!!!!!!

klb

Postby klb » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:48 pm

I believe a topic on the good old heavy breed i.e. shire, and how a demand is growing to own/ride these horses which in turn has helped the breeds numbers to slowly clim up.

Being used in all activities from dressage to happy hacking.

Hey Hey

Postby Hey Hey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:15 pm

I believe a topic on the good old heavy breed i.e. shire, and how a demand is growing to own/ride these horses which in turn has helped the breeds numbers to slowly clim up.

Being used in all activities from dressage to happy hacking.
I think this is a very good idea because somepeople think shires and heavy horses are just for driving.

klb

Postby klb » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:16 pm

hey hey - im glad you also think it was a good idea to mention about the heavy horses - i am one of many that ride these lovely animal :o) - they are calm, gentle and can do everything other 'normal' size horses can do - but with the feathers and pure stengh showing shining through.

LittleDollyPony

Postby LittleDollyPony » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:34 am

Hi :) I agree with some of the other people who have posed about more features on ponies :) I own a 12.2hh and it would be great if you did a feature on how great these little guys are! :D (I'll keep a space in my diary for the photo-shoot! lol :D )
[color=#FF00BF] My horse has left hoofprints on my heart <3[/color]
[color=#40BFFF]Real treasure does not clink and glitter, it gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark[/color]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/XxILoveDollyxX?feature=mhum[/url]

SherrindenFestivity

Postby SherrindenFestivity » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:45 pm

I'd love articles on how to bond with your horse, both in and out of the saddle,
top tips for all types of competitions
and how to take great horsey photos :) love the mag! x

Hey Hey

Postby Hey Hey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:18 pm

Yeh definatly an article on taking the perfect photo shot. I love taking pictures - especially of my pony.
Or maybe on how to draw horses and ponies? That would be good.
A jump guide - as how to jump a certain type of jump eg. Show Jumping and Cross Country Fences. And what they are called.
You could do a list of like top ten best horsey books. So like fiction and non-fiction.
An article on hacking tips - winter and summer
I am sure many people would love this idea as i know how many people like natural horsemanship so an article on how to tell a horses personality from its face and on how to join up.

I don't meen to be like hogging the linelight, but i have so many ideas.
Does anyone else like these ideas?

Return to “General horsey chat”