Hacking and map-reading!

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
Kaliska

Hacking and map-reading!

Postby Kaliska » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:43 am

I went out on a lovely hack last night only to get completely lost! Luckily I knew the right direction to head in but I could really do with buying a map. Does anywhere sell maps of horsey routes for local areas or is my best bet to get an oradnance survey map and mark up the bridleways more clearly on it?

greyhorse

Re: Hacking and map-reading!

Postby greyhorse » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:29 pm

Imagine how cool it would be to ride with a GPS! But, then, where would you attach it?

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:04 pm

Maybe you can get ones that attach to the D ring? Long distance riders must use something like that surely, or maybe theyre just much better at map reading than i am!

absolutebeginner

Postby absolutebeginner » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:04 pm

I use a "Satmap" GPS for walking - it comes on a lanyard that should tie easily to a D ring. Its dead easy to use too, as it displays as a standard OS map. Hope this helps.

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:19 am

Where can you buy GPS? Are they really expensive? I think maybe I should look into one now I've moved yards - I'm surrounded by bridleways but keep losing my way!

Return to “Hacking happiness”