Hacking bit

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
horseygal

Hacking bit

Postby horseygal » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:16 pm

Hi

My favourite horse at the stables is perfect in the school and I trust him completely, but when we go out on hacks, he gets very strong and sometimes won't stop. He is usually in a full cheek snaffle. Can you sujjest a different bi for hacking that might stop him bieng so strong?

Thanks in advance :)
[color=#FF0080]horseygal[/color]:D
I have a prince charming...
he just has a slow horse

greyhorse

Re: Hacking bit

Postby greyhorse » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:48 pm

Ah. An excellent question. I don't change the bit I use out hacking, but I will sometimes put on a flash, a martingale - or sometimes, both! This helps in those more 'inspired' moments when I wish to stop (or even just slow down) and he would rather run full tilt. The flash keeps him from opening his mouth like a lion and bumbling on regardless of protest from me. It also means I don't have a completely different feel from one day to the next, and don't have to fiddle with a lot of bit changes.

horse_girl

Postby horse_girl » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:00 pm

I went hunting earlier this year and the hireling i rode was in a continental gag, with the rein on the ring just below the bit ring. She was also in a flash. It wasn't harsh enough to hurt her, but it meant that I had brakes, so i had no fears of her running off at any point - i could sit back and enjoy the madness! Don't feel as though you can;t use a stronger bit for hacking - it doesn't make you any less of a rider, it just makes it safer for you and everyone else around you, too. Good luck!

lemmethink

Postby lemmethink » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:56 am

And the less yanking and tugging you do on your poor horse's mouth, the better time he'll have, too! I like a hanging cheek snaffle, and three ring gags - especially as you can start on number 2 and move down to number 3 if things get really hairy!

Return to “Hacking happiness”