Headbobbing

Overcome lameness, or managing a chronic condition? Share your experience, help others and get advice
Megz04

Headbobbing

Postby Megz04 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Do some horses naturally have a big head bob? I rode my New Forest the other day, and was filmed so I could review my riding. I noticed in the video his head was really bobbing, in walk and trot. He did not feel lame, and indeed if you ignore his head in the video he showed no other symptoms of being lame at all. He was working happily, and had showed no signs of lameness when I was on the ground, leading him in from the field or tacking up (I will note here that he is a bit of a wimp, also making me think that if he was lame I would definately know about it!). I have never seen myself riding him before, and I have never noticed the pronounced bobbing while I have been riding. It got me wondering if some horses just naturally do this while they are working? He is only young, was broken in a few months ago, and he was striding out and stepping under nicely.

Thanks for looking.

Meg

Snipper

Re: Headbobbing

Postby Snipper » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:41 am

My horse nods a bit with his head in walk and trot but he is a big lad! He's 17hh and quite long. My instructor said it was because he was finding it hard to get his hindlegs underneath him or something. Anyway he suggested really working on collecting him up and when I did the nod almost stopped!

Return to “Lameness”