High vis that isn't made for builders

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
lemmethink

High vis that isn't made for builders

Postby lemmethink » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:29 am

I very dangerously rode home at dusk last weekend without any high visibility clothing on - and it really scared me, as it should. I have a tabard that I hate and never wear, because it is (despite being small) is a total square and flaps about and baggy and drives me nuts. I have promised myself not to hack out again until I have something nice and bright to wear that doesn't make me feel like a 20 stone builder - any suggestions?

Kaliska

Re: High vis that isn't made for builders

Postby Kaliska » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:35 am

I am really big on hi-viz and get ridiculed for it quite often! I have a fluorescent exercise sheet, leg bands and bridle kit. I then also have a fluro jacket and a waistcoat (I wear one or other dependant on weather!). I also have fluro trousers!

The more the better I feel and local saddlers often have very sensible riding ones if you have a look around. Do try them on before you buy though - I always get home and mine are massive when not worn over a body protector!

Brave'nChompy

Postby Brave'nChompy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:18 pm

have a look at ones made for cyclists, much cheaper than some the the equestrian ones but does the same job.

Kate_H&R_AssistantEd

Postby Kate_H&R_AssistantEd » Tue May 25, 2010 2:13 pm

I have the most fantastic luminous pink, hi viz jacket and matching waterproof trousers from a company called Rockfish Riders that I can't recommend enough. I also would rather not wear these sorts of things, however this is actually rather glamorous! I have had lots of compliments about both items, worn together and separately, and they have been a god-send throughout the winter when I've been riding in gloom, wind and rain.

I don't think I've ever seen a builder wearing head-to-toe, hot pink hi viz gear!

mja

Postby mja » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:46 am

Nephews got me a nice tabard from tesco!! But this was a while back...it said Caution Horse & Rider - you have to be careful what it says on them for insurance purposesos if says young horse or young rider they may not pay out in the event of an accident as can use this to say horse or rider should not have been on road!!

jinglejoys

Postby jinglejoys » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:14 pm

I have a Fleece http://www.dickiesstore.co.uk/workwear/ ... sa22032/0/ which is very lightweight and warm (can be a bit too warm in summer)

AM76

Postby AM76 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:05 pm

Rockfish riders do a nice range of well designed gear in bright pink colours http://www.rockfishriders.com/

Horse Girl

Postby Horse Girl » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:52 pm

I found i used to have the smae problem because im a size 8 most hi viz gear was enormous! I bought a very nice hi viz body warmer from a sports shop which fitted nicely and wasnt very expensive. Plus it also had pockets which are very useful when out hacking. It was also light weight enough to be used on really hot days but could fit over my coat in winter.

selkie

Postby selkie » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:33 pm

There's a lot of running gear that is high vis now. Loads of fitted t-shirts and the like in outdoor shops. Although I know the weather isn't up to that any more.

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:57 pm

I like the neck straps you can get for horses like this one: http://www.equisafety.com/cat/catitem.a ... BN&d=1&s=2
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

Return to “Hacking happiness”