Holiday advice

Find horsey paradise! Share holiday hints and find tips on trips
MWM

Holiday advice

Postby MWM » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:01 pm

Looking for a 2 day break in the UK for fun hosey activity - any suggestions welcome

admin
Site Admin

Re: Holiday advice

Postby admin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 am

Horseandrideruk.com has a directory of UK Riding Holidays

http://tinyurl.com/mfbm43

Hope that helps!

greyhorse

Postby greyhorse » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:15 am

What about going to London and riding in the parks? That way, you could also catch a show in the evenings! Here are a few sites I found.

Ross Nye Stables
www.rossnyestables.co.uk

Hyde Park Stables
www.hydeparkstables.com

Wimbledon Village Stables
www.wvstables.com

Ridgeway Stables
www.ridgwaystables.co.uk

MineiscalledMonty

Postby MineiscalledMonty » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:15 am

Free-rein in Wales is great, they do several day long trails ranging from 2-12 days which are fantastic! You can join a group with a leader or do the map reading yourself with friends. The horses are amazing, super fit, sensible but forward going cobby types. And the landscape is stunning! I went with my mum last year for a two day trail with a leader. Loads of canters, about 5-7 hours riding a day and sleep in B&Bs. I seriously recommend it, and you don't need to be an amazing rider either!
here is the website:
www.free-rein.co.uk

fattywawa

Postby fattywawa » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:15 pm

Try Cumbria! It's amazing or Scotland!

BellaII

Postby BellaII » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:12 pm

Oh wow! I've had my eye on a free rein holiday for quite a while. It's so nice to hear from someone who has been there and done it - although I have to admit to being a teensy bit envious(!!).

Back in 1996 I did a fantastic trail riding holiday in Ireland, round the ring of Kerry. The stables really matched riders to the horses with the range going from steady cobs to speedier cob x thoroughbreds. All of them were totally reliable though mine needed the pelham and martingale for brakes! And so foot-sure! We did long days in the saddle, some of it at a very fast pace across varied scenery. What impressed me the first day was being given a dram of whiskey to get us started!

My recommendation, if you want to do a trail-riding holiday is: be riding fit and aerobically fit before you go! One girl when I went hadn't sat on a horse for 20 years and she was in tremendous pain for the first 4 days. However, she was a runner and coped much better with the trotting than I did because I got very puffed!

Anyway, in case anyone is interested, I'll see if I can find a link to the stables.

Return to “Horsey holidays”