Hoof crack

Your horsey GP surgery: from worming and vaccination, to mud fever and laminitis
Kaliska

Hoof crack

Postby Kaliska » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:46 pm

My horse had an abcess back in October 2011 which ended up bursting out of his coronet band. He has then been about 1/10 lame on and off for the past 12 months, which the farrier, and I have put down partially to his memory as he had never been lame before. He is now 21 years old.

Recently, the part of his hoof that is growing out cracked where the abcess has been and has left a huge crack. However, he is not lame, or bothered by it and the farrier has been bevelling the crack until it grows out.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Absolute_shambles
The SECOND number please: 3

Re: Hoof crack

Postby Absolute_shambles » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:09 am

My horse overreached and cut his coronet band which has given him a line all the way down his hoof, it took a year to grow out. Do farriers 'staple' cracks together? I might have made that up... or do they put a resin in them to stop it from getting infected...

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:09 am

Well, the crack area has now snapped off, leaving him with an incredibly ugly hoof. Luckily he doesn't appear to be lame or sore on it, but farrier is out on Friday to sort it out!

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:37 pm

Sounds nasty, hope you get it sorted!

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:13 pm

Typically, he is now sore despite the crack having partially grown out. Farrier is concerned that there is another underlying cause for the hoof issues...

Return to “GP surgery: health and veterinary chat”