Horse arriving at new yard...

Discuss all things horsey - or not - right here!
marvelhorse
The SECOND number please: 99

Horse arriving at new yard...

Postby marvelhorse » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:17 pm

Hello all!

Very excited as I have just bought my new girly and she is being transported to her new yard on Thursday!

Now, I have been reading many conflicting stories on the best way to help her settle on arrival.

She will be living out, and is going to be put in her luscious new paddock when she gets here. She will have a few other friends on the other side of the fence, but she will be in her own enclosure. Once settled, it is possible that they will be in the same field together.

Anyways, some people are telling me to leave her be for a few days to let her get her bearings etc... But others are telling me that once she is dropped off in the morning, I should be riding her by the afternoon to establish the routine as quick as possible.

What do you feel is the best way of helping her settle/establish her new routine as safely and stress-free as possible!

Obviously I would love to be able to jump in the saddle straight away, but I don't want to be stressing her out seeing as she has just been moved to a new place!

Any help is appreciated :)

dusty_dulciexx
The SECOND number please: 99

Re: Horse arriving at new yard...

Postby dusty_dulciexx » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:28 pm

I leave my horses when they move yards for a week with no work, but everything else I do as soon as possible, like times for stabling, grooming, feeding or putting other horses in the paddock. Hope this helps :D xx

Return to “General horsey chat”