How do you pass by other bridleway users?

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
admin
Site Admin

How do you pass by other bridleway users?

Postby admin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:57 am

Right to right or left to left? What would walkers think of our school rules? Ask the Experts In the saddle hacking guru Fliss Gillott explains how to pass each other safely...
http://tinyurl.com/ycjxf8r

pukkapony

Re: How do you pass by other bridleway users?

Postby pukkapony » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:41 pm

I pass other bridleway users with a cheery 'hello!'

Nora and Jaybee

Postby Nora and Jaybee » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:43 am

Very wise, Pukkapony =) In Norway we've got loads of people skiing and they can be incredibly rude to riders, but if you smile and almost twitter your "hello! have a nice day!" they can actually smile back...

I think the most important thing is that riders keep the horse in a walk and give plenty of room to pedestrians so that they never feel threatened in any way. And of course "smile and wave, boys, smile and wave" ;)
Wether you pass them right to right or left to left depends more on the situation than the unspoken rules, I think.
If my spelling is full of bugs it's because I'm Norwegian.

~LIVE YOUR DREAMS... Except for that one about being eaten by the giant spider~

alison hanmer

Postby alison hanmer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:02 pm

Nora and Jaybee
Your English is better than most of my English!

I agree, when it comes to passing other bridleway users, we should slow to walk a good distance away and say Hello and Thank You, whether the passers by are walkers, bikers or other riders.

However, since the Great Snowfall, I have not been polite at all to the many motorists who have driven past me very fast and sprayed me with slush whilst I'm walking, or to the 4x4 drivers who have forced me in my tiny car to drive into drifts, or to the bus drivers who have nearly crushed me. I won't tell you what I have said or describe my gesticulations - I leave it to your imagination!

Brave'nChompy

Postby Brave'nChompy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:10 pm

I always come back to a walk to pass other users, regardless of whether they are cyclists, pedestrians or other riders, the scariest are the pedestrians who seem to think it safer to hide in the bushes or trees at the side of the track thinking they are being helpful, I sometimes have to ask them to come out so my horse realises they are people and not scary monsters.

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:30 pm

I think it is very important to be polite to other people while you're out and about, but I also think it's just as important for them to be polite back. The horse I ride is big but very well-behaved, so i always walk carefully past people and give them a wide berth, as I'm aware that he could be quite scary for someone who isn't used to horses. I always say thank you to people who let me past and put their dogs on the lead, even though my horse isn't at all bothered by dogs.

However, I may just have been really unfortunate, but I have come across some very rude dog walkers on my local common. Some have gone out of their way to cause a problem so they can stop me for a moan, and others have shouted at me rudely for not thanking them before I'm barely within earshot! Surely we all have equal rights on the common and surely politeness works both ways? I've never once been thanked by anyone on foot for bringing my horse back to walk to pass them on one of the few paths I can canter on, or for walking past them quietly and under control. Yet some dog owners have let their dogs chase me barking, without even trying to call them back, let alone saying sorry! Luckily my horse hasn't been bothered, but I often find myself thinking thank God he's so good and wonder how other riders cope!

Surely it's up to all of us, dog walkers and horse riders, to keep our animals under control and be polite to each other. Sometimes it's no easier getting an excitable horse under control than it is a dog who's taken chase. Maybe I've just been unlucky by coming across people who don't like horses, but surely if they are that offended by them, they should stick to the many footpaths that we are unable to ride on? Perhaps I've just been unlucky enough to meet people who have had bad experiences with horse riders!

Return to “Hacking happiness”