How I learnt to canter...

Tell us about the first pony that stole your heart!
pukkapony

How I learnt to canter...

Postby pukkapony » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:52 pm

Heya,

The first ever pony I rode was a 31 year old welsh grey gelding called Snooker, he loved taking kids for rides and didnt let his age stop him. I started by just walking around in the field, bareback, with only a bitless bridle. I went up everyday to groom him and rode him once a week - but only if I did the poo picking! After I got my confidence in walk and trot I wanted to have a go at cantering... I had a friend who used to ride too, we found the only way to canter was to trot to the very bottom of the field and who ever was not riding shook the feed bucket - he then ran as fast as his legs could carry him right up to the food!

From then on there was no stopping me!

greyhorse

Re: How I learnt to canter...

Postby greyhorse » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:17 pm

That is hilarious! I'll bet lots of people learned to canter in a similar way!

HollyGee

Postby HollyGee » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:47 am

Hehe this is funny. I remember my first gallop, I was about 12 and it was on a shetland called Poppy. I was on a riding school hack and off we went! It was so much fun, I remember it to this day.

Ecb+Doodlebug

Postby Ecb+Doodlebug » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:09 pm

The first time I ever learnt to canter was by mistake. I was on a chestnut pony called Saga - lovely, but a little random. And this was one of the random days! In the riding school, we were waiting for our turn to canter and a car came round the corner behind us! He wasn't happy, so we galloped round the school overtook the rider ahead of us, and stopped at the end of the line infront of the other rider! It was still fun - I laughed all the way round while the instructor told me to stop!

Return to “The first pony I ever rode...”