I'm curious about hunting

Discuss all things horsey - or not - right here!
#HorsesRock#

I'm curious about hunting

Postby #HorsesRock# » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:53 pm

I've never hunted before but when a get abit more confidence I might give it a try and I was wondering what to wear because I always thought the most traditional clothing was a tweed jacket and yellow jodphurs like in working hunter classes. Although in all the magazines I have read everyone is wearing a red or navy show jacket. You would have thought that in working hunter classes you would wear the same clothing as you would on the hunting field. Does anyone know why this is or have any theories on it? Or can anyone tell me what they wear for hunting?

hessy

Re: I'm curious about hunting

Postby hessy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:13 pm

i should think a tweed jacket would be fine. but they are quite strict about dress. i have never hunted before either so cant comment from personal experience.

i would tend to have the same opinion as you on dress.

as for when to go, i would recommend a childrens meet if you are that age or ask around to see when people recommend first timers to go as some venues would be easier terrain than others, or slower, or less people etc.

#HorsesRock#

Postby #HorsesRock# » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:28 am

thankyou but it might be a while before I go hunting because I'm not even a confident jumper yet. So it was abit of a silly question but it does look really fun. I think I'm going to make it one of my life goals.

hessy

Postby hessy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:57 pm

im not a confident jumper either lol!! when i first learned to jump i absolutely loved it, the bigger the better, and then one day it was just too big and it completely knocked my confidence. one of my ponies recovered my love of jumping only to knock it again - typical lol!!

we met the childrens hunt out the other day and it was the first time i felt that i would like to try it someday - before that it was just too scary, so perhaps my confidence is looking up! :)

#HorsesRock#

Postby #HorsesRock# » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:30 pm

good for you. i hope that i get more cofindence over this summer to

OkieDokie

Postby OkieDokie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:46 pm

It depends, for kids (ie: under 18/16) its tweed jackets, then adults its blacjk or blue, then hunt members (male) can wear red jackets :)

good luck, hope you acheive your goal :)

#HorsesRock#

Postby #HorsesRock# » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:53 pm

thankyou. i suppose that does make sense cos i haven't seen many children hunting which is probably why i thought everyone wore black blue or red

Return to “General horsey chat”