iPhone "Horse Apps"

Get advice on the right gear to buy for yourself and your horse, and offer horsey shopping hints to other riders
pukkapony

iPhone "Horse Apps"

Postby pukkapony » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:29 pm

Ok, so i'm considering upgrading to an iPhone... there's alot of hoo-har about the 'Apps' that now make the world go round, great I can buy my shopping from Tesco with a built in barcode scanner... but surely there is a way that the new revelation iPhone can improve my horsie life?

The partner has an iPod touch, which features access to some of the Apps, I had a look and found one titled 'Dressage Diagrams' - it was free so I downloaded it and had a go, the purpose of it is to help you learn a dressage test or design a freestyle sequence while you're on the bus! Rating 2/10 - Deleted.

Do any of you guys have iPhones, and how horsie can they be made?

Also - i'm guessing i'm going to need a pretty industrial case I think for on the yard... I have seen one designed for building sites somewhere!!!!

H&R_Editor

Re: iPhone "Horse Apps"

Postby H&R_Editor » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi Pukkapony

I have an iPhone and I have downloaded the Horse&Rider app, of course. I have also found some iPhone gloves which allow you to use your phone when you are wearing them around horses.

I haven't downloaded any other horsey apps, but I should imagine there are very many.

Good luck! Oh and by the way I do love my iPhone very much.

Nicky

Mel_H&R_WebsiteEd

Postby Mel_H&R_WebsiteEd » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:14 pm

What kinds of Apps do you think would improve your horsey life?

Tell us your suggestions and Horse&Rider will see what we can do!

Mel
Web Ed

pukkapony

Postby pukkapony » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:59 pm

Still not taken delivery of my new iphone but I have ticked the box for my new 2011 contract :)

In terms of Horse Apps I would like I think the ones that organise things for you would be of most value; something to reming you when the wormer is next due and which wormer type you need (obviously there would be some user input at the beginning). Something that reminds you of all the horsie appointments, farrier, vet, vaccs, dentist and the like.

Rug weather guide maybe? (I suppose this is just bone idol - I could just check the met office lol)

The other that I would really love is Bridleway Sat-Nav "turn right at the next tree!" that would be brilliant as I would love to go and explore more in terms of the local area but I just don't know where I can & can't go on horseback. Could be incorporated with a safe-nav system so if you were to have an accident out riding just press the button & help is on the way via satelite locatating.

Show check lists & organisers - priceless to the confused competitor.

A medi app to help on the spot horse first aid - "Should I vet wrap? - check the iPhone!"

I'm sure there could be so many more - the entire content of books, organisers, computers, the net and more!!!!!!

Wendy

Postby Wendy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:40 pm

What kinds of Apps do you think would improve your horsey life?

Tell us your suggestions and Horse&Rider will see what we can do!

Mel
Web Ed
I have been searching for an app that would give me directions to new trail and a description of the staging areas. I drive a 3 horse slant and extended cab truck and worry about not being able to turn around. Since I couldn't find one, I hired an app team to create one. It's still new to the market and I need to encourage more riders to add their trails. But once it gets going, it will be the best horse app out there.
I also figured a new way of using it. My girlfriend and I were out in some deep wood trails and got turned around and lost our sense of direction. We weren't panicking, it was 11 am and we had all day, however we had been riding for 3 1/2 hours and turning around and following our path back would have taken longer than we wanted. Anyway, I happened to open my app and noticed on the home page (map). That the current location blue dot was not too far from the staging area. The staging area was already on the map and worked much like a way point. We made our way back to the staging area in about an hour. And I must say I was extremely pleased!
The intention of the app is to add and ride new trails, but another way I used the app in a ride is when my friend and I were camping, and another friend was coming up for a day ride. This other friend was running late and told us she would catch up when she got there. When she did arrive, she called and asked where we were. It was hard to explain, because I could tell where exactly she parked. But there is a feature on my app that will text your gps location and any smart phone can open it in google maps. I sent her the info. Now of coarse if you hit directions, it wants to give driving directions and not horse trail directions, but if you move tword the destination with your current location, the two shall meet.
I am so excited about this. I hope you are too!
~Wendy

Return to “Gear guide”