meeting the hunt

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
hessy

meeting the hunt

Postby hessy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:34 pm

This is one of my greatest fears and we have many jokey discussions over what would happen if we met the hunt out on a hack!

Has this ever happened to anyone?

pukkapony

Re: meeting the hunt

Postby pukkapony » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:47 pm

Never happened to me, but I can offer the following advise;

Research the local hunts area; and stay well clear of it!!!

Listen out (they are normally pretty noisy!), if you hear them coming dismount in a safe place, hold your horse safely and let him have 5 minutes to chill out (maybe even let him graze - distractions are best) and wait for everything to pass at a safe distance.

Maybe you were a fox in a prevoius life and have a natural fear of the hunts!!! :)

lemmethink

Postby lemmethink » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:38 pm

I rode to a meet recently with a friend, but was just going to hack home after they rode off. I took a turn and was very nearly in the midst! My horse coiled like a spring and I pointed him for home, let him go and home and hoped he didn't buck me off and head back to the group! Mostly I was afraid of being in the middle of it and getting in the way!

aimeeee!

Postby aimeeee! » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:31 pm

I've heard lots of horror stories about this myself, but on the occasions i've accidently got directly in their path, or on the field they were crossing they have been very polite and considerate, still held on for dear life though. They didn't stop their horses, and of course the hounds ran directly but the rides moved well clear of us as a group. The scariest bit is actually hearing them coming and having no idea where they're coming from when your in an enclosed space.

We got off our horses, pulled them well into the tree's and they trotted and bounced along and thanked us if they noticed us. The horses just looked at us disgusted at the fact they couldn't join in lol. Heard some good stories about little ponies galloping off after them though.

alison hanmer

Postby alison hanmer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:40 pm

I've done both - hunting and meeting the hunt, and they can both be hugely stressful, or exciting and fun, depending on how it goes. From my experience, the hunt does try to be considerate to other riders, and everyone else they meet, but a big bunch of hounds, horses, followers etc is scary or very exciting however you look at it. I wouldn't get off my horse myself in a stressful situation because I feel more in control in the saddle, but I think you should do what you feel most comfortable with. Your safety is the first most important thing, then your horse's. I'd also say try to stay calm yourself and don't grip your horse with your legs, lean forward or pull at his mouth - and if you're on thr ground, keep hold of the reins but not so tight that you freak the horse out even more. You need to be the calm one. If you're riding, sit up, put your heels down, keep a steady contact but don't snatch the reins and try to relax. Easy to say, I know, but just repeating one of these to yourself - "sit up" or "heels down", can be a useful matra. Horses take so much of their mood from us, even in situations like this.

chrissie

Postby chrissie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:23 pm

3 years ago I met the hunt, my pony had a heart attack and died, I now wont ride on hunting days.

hessy

Postby hessy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:06 pm

jeez!

im so sorry chrissie! i know how you feel as one of my ponies died about 3 years ago too and also because of having bad experiences making you not want to do something anymore etc havent had much luck with horses really.

chrissie

Postby chrissie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:36 pm

it was a terrible experience & I will never get over it, I know it cauld have happened at any time as she must have had a heart problem but she was fit & well & up untill that day was doing 10 mile xc rides, they are always a worry arnt they!

hessy

Postby hessy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:03 pm

you are never done worrying about them! they break your heart.

Return to “Hacking happiness”