My first share pony!

Tell us about the first pony that stole your heart!
Kaliska

My first share pony!

Postby Kaliska » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:23 am

Not the first horse I rode, but the first share pony I had. He was a lovely New Forest gelding, who had come from a rescue charity and he was young, green and cheeky, all rolled into one! I started out riding him a couple of times a week, occasionally flying out the side door as he got over-excited, but I absolutely adored him!

He was so cute and cheeky that he was totally irresistable and I was devastated when I had to stop riding him due to other time commitments. The horses and ponies that we first learn to ride on and first fall in love with, teach us so much more than we realise at the time.

Monty not only taught me stickability and how to have fun, but he also became a close friend and companion and I will never ever forget him!

greyhorse

Re: My first share pony!

Postby greyhorse » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:20 am

I always wanted to ride a New Forest pony - you lucky thing!

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:09 am

They are fab but definitely sharp!

Jemma

Postby Jemma » Tue May 05, 2009 7:19 pm

I was always run away with on the first pony I rode, which made me really nervous about riding for ages. But I think it was more my fault than the pony's, as he sensed my anxiety and just bombed off, even in the school! It's something that has stayed with me for years after, and I still hate to be out of control when I go hacking.

greyhorse

Postby greyhorse » Wed May 20, 2009 8:40 am

Ah - bolting. I will never forget a lunge lesson (the no stirrups, no reins kind of lunge lesson) where the horse bolted and we motor-biked around the circle at high speed. I swear we were parallel with the surface at times!

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:28 pm

my first pony molly was a new forest (although not the first pony i rode) i love her sooo much!! we still have her now although she has artheritis so cant be ridded much. she was so naught and would not jump a thing, creating a bit of a name for herself at PC!! i still love her the most though:D

Fizz

Postby Fizz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:01 pm

The first pony i ever learned to ride on was a little fleabitten thing called Shamrock who was literally bomb proof and quiet as a lamb.

The first pony i fell in love with was a grumpy fat chestnut named Sonny, who is still alive today and still pulling the old grumpy faces at people and ponies. When i first started riding him he threw me off a couple of times but i got used to his attitude and just rode him through his tantrums. I did my very first jump with him and we got so good that i got him to jump a height he'd never tried before which impressed my instructor and me! Sadly it was battle of the girlys as a snotty little girl was lucky enough to loan him and liked to rub it in my face quite alot! She made it quite clear she didnt like me. But thats just how it goes when your 12 years old. I'm glad i still see him though even though his ears are back and his lips wobble at me but thats all for show, he's a big baby really and still bucking the kiddies off once and a while...As ponies do.

IonnaStar
The SECOND number please: 99

Postby IonnaStar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:09 am

I LOVE New Forests but never owned one. Have you owned any more ponies - have a horse/pony present??

Amy

Postby Amy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:34 pm

I had part share in a lovely thoroughbred cross called Benson. Me and a friend had him together. He was the most laidback thoroughbred I had ever met so placid and occasionally he'd have his moments but he was amazing other than that. But I gave him up not along ago as my friend made it very clear she didnt want me to loan him with her anymore and I was heartbroken he was a big friendly giant.

Nickylovespoinies

Postby Nickylovespoinies » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:30 pm

The first pony I rode was also a new forest pony! They are so adorable, I miss riding cheeky Shetlands etc too from when I was small enough to ride them and young enough to not be in pain when they threw me off ! haha x

Return to “The first pony I ever rode...”