nervous about riding lessons

Searching for the right instructor? Need some schooling advice? Share your experiences and ask others for help
shantih79

nervous about riding lessons

Postby shantih79 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:07 pm

Has anyone else been in the situation where they have returned to riding lessons after many years? I'm 32 and I had regular lessons every week from the age of 3 to 22 when the yard closed. Since then, I have only had the opportunity to ride once or twice a year. Consequently, I'm not the rider I was. I have made enquiries with a number of schools but I just know that I am going to get frustrated with myself and expect too much too soon.

I also worry about going somewhere new and the people being horrible!

Has anyone else done this? How did it turn out?

Annie

Mythical

Re: nervous about riding lessons

Postby Mythical » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:30 pm

I realise it was a while ago, but for anyone else who's looking for assurance I'll reply anyway.

I returned to riding aged 23 after a break of almost a decade. It took a few tries to find a decent riding school, and I'm certainly not the rider I was, but once I found a good riding school with a fabulous instructor who was able to work with me and the skills I had at the time, I made more progress in ten weeks than I had in ten years as a child.

The great thing about going back to riding as an adult is that you're suddenly free to choose where and how you ride based on your own goals and resources - you're not bound by loyalties or how much a parent is willing to put into it.

I'm about to return to riding again, after a five year break this time - I have my first group lesson in almost twenty years tonight - so far the school seems okay, but I still have a few number stored, incase it doesn't turn out to be what I wanted.

hannahwoof13
The SECOND number please: 99

Postby hannahwoof13 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:15 pm

Hi - I'm just about to do the same thing. I'm thinking about returning to riding after a break af about ten years or so. I rode for ten years, from the age of 5 to 15 and was a confident rider.

A friend of mine knows someone who cant ride thier horse a lot due to work commitments and is looking for someone to ride her for her. I'm not sure how to approach this as I would love to, and have always wanted to be able to do something like this but i'm nervous about my lack of abilities and I dont want to make a fool of myself. I especially dont want to end up making mistakes when someone is trusting me to ride thier horse without them being present.

Can anyone advise me as to what I can do to build my confidence and skills? I know lessons are the first step but i'm just a little lost for what to do.

sarahdot9

Postby sarahdot9 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:35 pm

Hi hannahwoolf13,

I see this was a while ago - what have you done?

I was in a similar position to you recently. I rode confidently from about 4 to 16, having my own pony on loan and doing pony club activities etc., but then virtually stopped for 5 years whilst I was at college and Uni, only having the odd lesson when I could afford it. When I moved home last year I thought I wanted to take up riding again and found out about a woman looking for someone to loan her horse because she no longer had the time. I was really nervous about responding and taking it up but the woman was really nice about it and said I should just come along and try him, and that I'd quickly get back into it. She was right and I think you don't ever really lose the ability to ride. If I were you I'd go and try the horse anyway, just explain to the woman before about how you feel, don't let a lack of confidence stop you - you'll soon get it back if you were a confident rider before.

Ukkey

Postby Ukkey » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:08 pm

Has anyone else been in the situation where they have returned to riding lessons after many years? I'm 32 and I had regular lessons every week from the age of 3 to 22 when the yard closed. Since then, I have only had the opportunity to ride once or twice a year. Consequently, I'm not the rider I was. I have made enquiries with a number of schools but I just know that I am going to get frustrated with myself and expect too much too soon.

I also worry about going somewhere new and the people being horrible!

Has anyone else done this? How did it turn out?

Annie
Realy similar thing here, I had constant riding lessons from ages 8-16 then I started college then onto uni and never got to ride in a lesson again, I'm now 21 and starting back down my local stables I'm in the highest lesson due to my experiance but I still feel over whelmed by all the youngsters who know how to do things I've just forgotten, especily things like menouvers and somthing as simple as going with a canter.
I used to be quite good and even had the chance to teach in the USA but It felt so scary!

I've been riding with the girls for 3 weeks now and its feeling more like a comfortable thing, I think you just have to face the nerves tell the instructor how you feel and what your situation is and they will understand, my instructor is only 3 years older than me and I ride her horse so she has put alot of trust in me just for my honesty and I feel realy comfy in my lesson now. I guess what I'm trying to say is grow some balls and do it. Its the only way to get passed it! :)

CookieComeTrue
The SECOND number please: 3

Postby CookieComeTrue » Sat May 11, 2013 8:07 pm

My cousin Erin is 8 and has started riding at a riding school. Although she is the top in her lesson she's self-conscious about lessons. She's riding in leggins and wellies but everyone else is wearing boots and jodhpurs, and is scared people will misjudge her. How can I help her?

Amy

Postby Amy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:01 pm

My cousin Erin is 8 and has started riding at a riding school. Although she is the top in her lesson she's self-conscious about lessons. She's riding in leggins and wellies but everyone else is wearing boots and jodhpurs, and is scared people will misjudge her. How can I help her?

I use to ride in leggings and wellies for a while, then i started in jods and boots. Just reassure your cousin in telling her that the others wont make fun, and if they do report it as it will make you cousin feel worse about herself and could cause more confident issues. Personally with the riding lessons tell her things like the more you practice the more better you will be, you will be an amazing etc.
I work with children so this type of strategy should help and in time think about getting her jodphurs and boots. I hope this helps you! :)

Return to “Lessons and training”