Never hacked alone

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
SherrindenFestivity

Never hacked alone

Postby SherrindenFestivity » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:17 pm

I have recently got a 15.2hh 5 year old on loan and he is fab, he has mainly done hacking but no one else on my yard rides so I don't have any one to hack with and I have never been out on my own. I am very experienced with hacking as I worked for someone for 2 years and because we didn't have an arena and we were in the countryside we'd hack out and compete; just a bit nervous about going out completely on my own- any tips/advice? :) expletive

Kaliska

Re: Never hacked alone

Postby Kaliska » Mon May 21, 2012 2:41 pm

Why not download the Horse Rider SOS app for your phone? That notifies people if you stop moving for a set length of time and tells them where you are.

Alternatively, why not ask a friend to come with you on foot or by bike the first couple of times?

Better safe than sorry, especially with a youngster!

SherrindenFestivity

Postby SherrindenFestivity » Tue May 22, 2012 6:33 am

oh wow I'll try and find that app! and thanks never thought of having someone walk with me will try it! xx

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Wed May 23, 2012 11:42 am

I always find it best to have someone walk with me, better than another rider as the walker is on hand if there are issues and can help lead your horse past scary things etc. Plus because you chat, you will be more relaxed too.

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Sometimes my hubby comes on his bike with me, at least we can get up some speed then!!!

Return to “Hacking happiness”