New Year's eve midnight ride

Find horsey paradise! Share holiday hints and find tips on trips
greyhorse

New Year's eve midnight ride

Postby greyhorse » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:23 pm

As part of a holiday, I went on a midnight New Year's eve ride. We from about 10:00pm on a freezing winter night in Canada through several feet of snow. The stars were incredible and the moon lit our way - except for the points where we rode through the woods in the pitch dark, and you had to wrap your arms around your horse's neck and trust them to stay upright and on the path. It was an unforgettable experience, that's for sure.

pukkapony

Re: New Year's eve midnight ride

Postby pukkapony » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:23 pm

WOW, I would love to try that.... too many drunk drivers that time of night on new years but definately worth considering

One tradition I do have is a christmas day hack, I always pack a mini roast in a lunch box, carrots for the horse & a flask of hot chocolate and go out for a couple of hours. Its so nice, like having the whole world to yourself as everyone is indoors opening presents.

Lucinda

Postby Lucinda » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:33 pm

A NY's eve midnight ride sounds fantastic!!! I would love to try that, too. I agree about Christmas day rides, though. Nothing like being out when there's hardly any cars on the road and everyone you meet is smily and happy because it's Christmas. Not long to wait now!

littlehorse

Postby littlehorse » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:28 am

That sounds amazing, I would love to do that. Do you have a website for the place you wnet to.

HollyGee

Postby HollyGee » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:38 pm

I have never ridden on Xmas Day - it's always been a day off for everything for me! Bliss! And I think my pony appreciated his extra carrots too.

ponyprincess

Postby ponyprincess » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:39 pm

I've never done a Christmas day or New years day ride but I'd love too. Is anyone planning on doing this this year?

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:20 am

I always do a Christmas ride in full Santa stuff with jingly bells. I stable my horse in a village and it always makes everyone smile as they come to the door with their kids. He's a spotty pony too so a bit special on Christmas day for the average pony-loving child!

Not ever done a midnight NYE one though - I'd be too concerned about fireworks - think you'd need to live in the middle of nowhere!

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:10 pm

I can just imagine my horse's reaction if I decked him out with bells...

Would love to do a New Years Eve ride... maybe on a beach...

When me and my friends were younger we'd always do a Christmas Eve ride wearing a fair quantity of tinsel.
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

selkie

Postby selkie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:29 pm

Hmm... It's very dark where the yard is. Although I gave it a go this evening and went on a gentle twilight ride. It was fantastic and with the nights drawing in there will be lots of chances to replicate it.

Return to “Horsey holidays”