Pit falls of long lining?

Searching for the right instructor? Need some schooling advice? Share your experiences and ask others for help
millertime

Pit falls of long lining?

Postby millertime » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:51 pm

I have a young (rising 3) ex race horse, she's only completed one season on the track, 7 races and didn't make it as wasn't fast enough.

I've started ground work, but her real job over the next 6 - 9 months is to grow, everything else is about us getting to know one another.

Late summer having established the ground work and at the grand old age of 3.5 I was planning to introduce long lining.

A friend has warned me however that this will (more likely may), teach my horse to run through my hand and is a sure fire way to ensure my horse has 'no mouth' by the time I get on-board and that it is also likely to turn an ex-race horse into a bolter.

For the record I usually long line in a dually. Any truth in my friends statement? I thought L/lines would be a great way to introduce my mare to the wider world (de-spook) and at the same time help her learn to balance herself and build muscle etc.

I still want to stick to plan A, but are there any merit in my friends comments? Anything I should do to ensure I don't create a bolter?

pukkapony

Re: Pit falls of long lining?

Postby pukkapony » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:30 am

I cant see any reason why it may create a bolter, as long as you are kind on her mouth but firm with your commands, its one of the best ways to establish the basics.

I would advise starting out with someone leading her too as you could create a hardened mouth if she leans on the bit and you are the only resistance to correct this; however as you will be using a Dually then I really cant see any problems whatsoever.

The way she is to lunge and how she is in hand will give you a big indiaction as to what she will be like in terms of trying to bolt and being headstrong etc.

Sounds like you know what you're doing here anyway so keep at it & best of luck.

hessy

Re: Pit falls of long lining?

Postby hessy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:30 pm

Agree with pukka pony.

Also, you sound like youve done this with many horses so from your experiences with different ones it should give you a good indication too.

Ive heard that ex racehorses have really good mouths (maybe wrong here?). Ive ridden one that has been off the track about 10yrs and he is a proper riding horse, is used in a riding school and is a super ride! I would love him if only i wasnt such a nervous wreck lol!

Return to “Lessons and training”