Tweed or black and what colour gloves?

From preparation and plaiting to coping with show-day nerves! Share your competitive life experiences here
Ellie mare

Tweed or black and what colour gloves?

Postby Ellie mare » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm doing my first showing class (best turned out) with my connie cross next weekend. Its been a long time since I done anything like this (about 10 years) and I'm very excited. Have even made a fab browband to make my gorgeous mare look even more beautiful! BUT I don't know whether to wear my blue tweed or black jacket and what colour gloves should I wear?

hessy

Re: Tweed or black and what colour gloves?

Postby hessy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:34 am

I would wear your tweed as black isn't really worn in the show ring, except for men. And tweed is more traditional and correct for a part bred native. Wear a nice matching shirt in a pale colour with a tie - no stocks. Wear plain gloves in a colour that complements your jacket - a dark colour - brown or black perhaps. Wear a hairnet (if you have long hair) and a tip that i found is to tie your hair into a bun shape with the hairnet already on - looks much neater. Use hairspray on your hair to keep it tidy.

If you are doing in-hand you can either wear breeches/jodhs and riding boots or trousers. It is more correct to wear trousers and shoes when showing in hand, than breeches and boots but either will be acceptable at local level. If you opt to wear trousers, pick a dark colour if your horse's legs are light coloured and vice versa. This is so they stand out next to you.

You can wear your riding hat if you wear your riding clothes but if you opt for trousers (or even a smart skirt, whatever you fancy) you can either wear a hat or not - it finishes off the outfit. You could also wear a beagler with your riding clothes if you have one and you would prefer to do this. Suitable hats include a beagle, riding hat, tweed cap or brimmed trilby or panama.

You can carry a cane.

Good luck!

Ellie mare

Postby Ellie mare » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks for the tips. Only 6 more sleeps! I'm worse than my kids at Christmas hee hee.
Its been years since I've felt this kind of buzz about doing something. Will let you know how it goes.

hessy

Postby hessy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:17 pm

Good luck, looking forward to the report! :)

Ellie mare

Postby Ellie mare » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:10 pm

Well, our first show together was a success. My mare behaved very well, only a bit of fidgeting, which for her is an achievement in itself and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process. We came 6th in best turned out and she trotted up beautifully in her in hand class and won! So that really was the icing on the cake. Looking forwards to the next one now!

hessy

Postby hessy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:21 am

Thats excellent!! A good tip for next time is to go to the judge after the class and ask for some tips or expletive on how to do better. This is really interesting - i was leading in a lead rein class a month ago and the judge went to each pony when she was giving out rosettes and giving advice - such as, you did a really good trot but your turnout let you down, for example. Good luck for your next show!

Return to “Competitive life”