using Garlic for flies and respiratory health

NAF is a UFAS accredited supplement company, and can help with nutrition and feeding queries
welshie

using Garlic for flies and respiratory health

Postby welshie » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:41 pm

I have been trying to find an alternative to fly repellent, as the liquid spray doesn't seem to be very effective and of course you can't use it round the eyes, etc. To combat this I did some internet research and I read that garlic granules can be added to feed which puts the flies off (as the garlic comes through the horse's skin).

I've also since discovered that Garlic is good for respiratory health. My horse (on part loan) has a chesty cough when working - which the owner thinks is just a sign of his low fitness, as we are bringing him back into regular work.

Do you agree that adding garlic to feed is a good idea - and are there any instances when garlic should not be used?

Expert_NAF_Nutrition

Re: using Garlic for flies and respiratory health

Postby Expert_NAF_Nutrition » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:53 am

Hi,
Thank you for your enquiry. Garlic is a great choice for general health, and has certainly been traditionally used as an internal fly repellent, so it would be a good choice for your pony. That said, I would have to say that there is no strong, scientific evidence that it can work as a fly repellent from within and so I would advise perservering with the applications. If your pony doesn't like the sprays why not look at the gels like NAF OFF Deet Gel or NAF OFF Extra Effect Gel, that can be easily applied all over?

For the second part of your enquiry, garlic for lung health, again it is something that garlic has been used for for hundreds of years. In fact right back to Medieval times garlic was known for it's health giving properties for respiratory conditions, like the Great Plauge! Again if you have a real issue with your pony's breathing I would suggest trying something more advanced and targeted for this issue, such as NAF Respirator Boost, that will really get into the lungs and help support a clear respiratory tract. I would suggest that even if you look towards garlic for long term maintenance of healthy lungs, a short course of Respirator Boost initially would be the best way to help her get back on track.

So in conclusion Garlic Granules are a great choice for general health, and are certainly traditionally used for both the issues you've discussed. They are safe to use for all horses and ponies, but do follow the feeding instructions as on the label. If you have a real problem with either flies or lung health, it may be necessary to look to more targeted approaches, even if just for an initial boost.

I hope this has answered your question. Any further questions or queries please do contact us again, and please let us know how you and your pony get on with NAF products.

Kind regards,

Kate

Kate Jones
Snr Nutritionist
NAF

CounterCanter

Postby CounterCanter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:57 pm

I recently bought the NAF Citronella spray, although I don't know if there's a gel version of it, as my horse can be a little wary around sprays.

I have found garlic to be very effective, although not great against the horseflies - we live in an area dominated by them, and in peak season, you can't turn the horses out in daytime without them being swarmed.
[size=85]CounterCanter[/size]

Expert_NAF_Nutrition

Postby Expert_NAF_Nutrition » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:25 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. You'll be pleased to know that the NAF OFF Citronella does come in a gel form, ask your local NAF main dealer who should have it in or can get it in for you. Also if you've had the spray then you should have the free wristband which, personally, I've found really effective when riding out. If you don't know your nearest main dealer please do give us a call on the Freephone, 0800 373106, and we'll be happy to advise you.

That said, I have to agree that Horseflies can be a particular 'challenge'! I would advise that to continue feeding the garlic, alongside using the NAF OFF Citronella, should be the best approach for you and your horse.

Good luck with that, and do let us know how you and your horse get on with NAF products.

Kind regards,

Kate

CounterCanter

Postby CounterCanter » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:12 am

Thank you, I'm glad there's a gel! And thank you for your advice about the horseflies too. I've not yet used the wristband, I'm saving it for a sponsored ride in September, but I love the fact that the oil's not in direct contact with the skin, as I have many allergies.
[size=85]CounterCanter[/size]

Return to “NAF Nutritionists”