The Bowen Technique - Anyone Tried it?

Has an alternative therapy helped your horse, or perhaps you're considering hone? Discuss the alternative world here
pukkapony

The Bowen Technique - Anyone Tried it?

Postby pukkapony » Tue May 31, 2011 1:37 pm

I've got a Bowen therapist coming out to my Welsh A mare on friday. Shes local to me and is only charging £50 inc travel & 1hr treatment - which I think is very reasonable.

Anyone have experience of Bowen on horses? This is my first 'alternative therapy' it is to help my older mare who has become a bit stiff and is clearly a little sore when jumping, she has recently started to refuse jumps so this is a trial to see if we can improve her riding life.

Alternatively, has anyone tried something in the past and found it to work well?

anna_banana*

Re: The Bowen Technique - Anyone Tried it?

Postby anna_banana* » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:47 pm

I had a Bowen practitioner come out for my old horse, an ex race horse - his saddle didn't fit, and caused him back pain, uneven muscle, and stiffness through the back. The practitioner was recommended and worked through our vet, and was the only therapy he had, and it was remarkable! Watching her work was amazing - his facial expressions were hilarious, he would go from calm and almost asleep to some of the strangest faces I have ever seen! It really did seem to loosen him up, and he was a lot happier in himself. Unfortunately, by the time it came to backing him again, my confidence was shot, so we sold him on (we only checked his saddle when he bucked me off), but by the time we did, he had all of his old movement back, and I honestly can't recommend it enough. He did drink a lot afterwards, so I would recommend that people add an extra water bucket to the stable/field.
I know that by now you will already have had the treatment, I hope it worked well for you!

Flipsy90

Re: The Bowen Technique - Anyone Tried it?

Postby Flipsy90 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi,

I'm looking into Bowen Therapy to help with my horses immune system but I am not quite convinced. how did your session go with your mare? Would you recommend getting an external therapist or to go through the vet?

Return to “Alternative therapies”