Fur loss around cut

Your horsey GP surgery: from worming and vaccination, to mud fever and laminitis
Jessie83

Fur loss around cut

Postby Jessie83 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:31 pm

Please can anyone offer advice on this strange situation I'm experiencing with a cut on my mares inner hind leg? -

The wound was inflicted out in the field and it's on the inside of her hock. Quite a noticeable gash but the cut itself is healing quite rapidly with daily treatment and she hasn't been lame on it. The strange thing is that as it heals, more and more fur around it is coming away, so that now 1/4 of her inside lower leg is bare. For a few days last week the lower leg became slightly swollen and I thought she had lymphangitis but that seems to have righted itself.

Another horse on the yard got a similar cut on the inside of his front leg and his was infected with yellow puss for over a week and is only now starting to heal but the same thing is happening with the fur on his leg.

When both cuts first happened our yard owner advised to treat with proflavine ointment but I found it so difficult to get the ointment to the wound site that I switched to Vetericyn spray whereas the other owner has stuck to proflavine and salt water.

Also, my horse is still moving well on her leg but she is reluctant to pick it up to be picked out.

Any advice as to what's causing the fur to fall away and how I can stop and correct it?

Thanks in advance!

Snipper

Re: Fur loss around cut

Postby Snipper » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Sounds strange, but if she's not happy about picking it up it might suggest there's some discomfort, even though she's not been lame. Have you spoken to your vet about it? Also, not sure if it's of any help, but a few horses on our yard got cuts in the field and they all suffered slightly odd reactions afterwards, all with the same symptoms. We wondered whether it was caused by a particular bacteria in the soil or something, that had got in through the cut.

Return to “GP surgery: health and veterinary chat”