Best Bit for a youngster?

Get advice on the right gear to buy for yourself and your horse, and offer horsey shopping hints to other riders
dani6079

Best Bit for a youngster?

Postby dani6079 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:18 pm

I put a bridle on my 20month old for the first time today and borrowed a bit (i have no idea what type) but it looked like it would be hard on his mouth but as I was not doing anything except standing him there for a few mins I figured this would be fine. He was really good he played with it alot and salavated loads but after a while it didnt seem to bother him at all. I was thinking of getting a happymouth to start his work in however I have heard very bad reviews, things like chewed bits being unuseable within an hour of use and them cutting mouths and cheeks.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a mild soft bit to use on him at first just to get him used to a bridle? I only want to use a snaffle on him when he's in work if I can so dont want to go in with anything to strong as this then wont suit him.

littlehorse

Re: Best Bit for a youngster?

Postby littlehorse » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:59 pm

You could try the KK ultima, it is a loose rinf and has a lozenge in the middle. It is designed to encourage the horse to mouth. They are by Neue Schule and quite pricey but worth looking into.

Snipper

Re: Best Bit for a youngster?

Postby Snipper » Wed May 23, 2012 12:53 pm

Apparently a double jointed bit is much kinder than a single jointed bit like a snaffle, so I guess this might be a good type to start with. Puls I think nathe ones are good for sensitive mouths but are quite strong.

Return to “Gear guide”