Information about Ticks

Your horsey GP surgery: from worming and vaccination, to mud fever and laminitis
saddie

Information about Ticks

Postby saddie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Horses are equally at risk from ticks as their owners and can be severely affected by Lyme disease and other tick-associated infections.

Tick Bite Prevention Week, supported by Mosi-guard Natural™, runs from 26 March - 1 April 2012. This is an annual programme that helps promote awareness of tick-borne diseases and effective tick-bite prevention for at-risk groups, including pet owners and their animals so that they can enjoy the great outdoors in increased safety.

Several types of ticks are commonly found on dogs and cats in the UK. The sheep tick (also known as the deer tick or wood tick) and the hedgehog tick are the most common to attach to dogs and cats in the UK, and both commonly transmit Lyme disease to people and domestic animals. The British dog tick, kennel tick and marsh tick are also known to transmit canine Lyme disease.

The Tick Bite Prevention Week website gives advice on tick bite prevention, what to do if bitten, and how to safely remove ticks. A dedicated 'Pets Zone' has been launched which offers advice on how to keep your pets protected in the warmer months at www.tickbitepreventionweek.org.

Kaliska

Re: Information about Ticks

Postby Kaliska » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:37 pm

Thanks for this information - very interesting as I live in a tick-infested area thanks to all the deer and sheep!

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Wed May 23, 2012 12:56 pm

My horse seems to attract ticks. They are so disgusting and I'm a real wimp and need to put gloves on to remove them! I get so worried about leaving the head in too. Anyone got any good tips for removing them?

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Fri May 25, 2012 12:04 pm

My horse got his first ever tick the other day :cry: Dog gets them all the time, but my horse never does. It was half burrowed into his leg so used some tweezers to get it out, but then I have lots of practice from removing them from dogs!

Return to “GP surgery: health and veterinary chat”