Ulcer treatment

NAF is a UFAS accredited supplement company, and can help with nutrition and feeding queries
Miranda

Ulcer treatment

Postby Miranda » Thu May 10, 2012 8:05 pm

My 12 year old, 16hh Dutch warmblood may have a stomach ulcer. He windsucks after any hard feed, even a carrot or horse treat (though that may just be a habit he's picked up). I usually give him hay after a feed as this stops him. He's prone to losing weight though he seems to have stabilised in the last year. I feed him Speedibeet, chaff, horse nuts and oil. He gets very stressy and highly strung if fed any cereal (even coolmix). I've tried him on a feed balancer to help keep condition on him, but that made him a bit bonkers. I'm quite happy with his feed at present as he seems calm and happy and his weight is stable, but is there anything that I could give him if he does have an ulcer? (I posted a message 'Lazy or loopy' on a more general forum and it was suggested that this could be the problem)

Kaliska

Re: Ulcer treatment

Postby Kaliska » Mon May 21, 2012 2:43 pm

Why don't you try ringing one of the feed people's nutritional helpline? They're always really helpful!

Expert_NAF_Nutrition

Re: Ulcer treatment

Postby Expert_NAF_Nutrition » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi Miranda,
Firstly my apologies for not having replied earlier - technical issues (computers :evil: !)
Hopefully you may have already taken Kaliska's advice and contacted our Freephone advice line on 0800 373106 already.
However if I can still offer any guidance - here goes! From the information given I would suspect gastric ulcers, though obviously only your vet will be able to give you a positive diagnosis by scoping. But many owners don't wish to go down that route, both for reasons of economy and hoping to avoid stressing the horse unduly.
I would advise that you stick to a suitable diet for him, which would be high fibre, low cereal and a concentrated feed balancer such as NAF Pink Powder to balance his diet and provide additional gut support. Specifically to the ulcers I would recommend putting him on NAF GastriAid, which has been especially formulated to help soothe the effects of excess gas within the equine gut and is recommended wherever there are signs of compromised gut health. GastriAid is rich in natural antacids and high level gut support to maintain a calm, settled stomach environment. By calming the gut we very often see a calmer horse, which of course is better for everyone.
I hope this has answered your question. Any further queries please do contact us again, or give the Freephone a call where we would be happy to help.

Kind regards,
Kate Jones
Snr Nutritionist, NAF

Return to “NAF Nutritionists”