Your opinion on Cornucrescine

Your horsey GP surgery: from worming and vaccination, to mud fever and laminitis
mouse

Your opinion on Cornucrescine

Postby mouse » Wed May 25, 2011 5:51 pm

My pony get really dry feet and because she had laminitus before we got her, the front of the foot breaks up. The farrier said that a lot of hoof things are a waste of money. So far we have only been putting hoof oil on but what do you think of Cornucrescine products? the oil we use at the moment is by NAF and it is quite good but we want to invest in some that is more like a moisturiser. Thankyou, <3

hessy

Re: Your opinion on Cornucrescine

Postby hessy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:26 pm

I dont know if you can get cornucrescine in liquid form but we got it in a small tub and it was like tar!! Deadly to apply and if you get it on your skin or clothes its very hard to get off! Plus its a bit stinky. lol!

Apart from that, i have no experience with other types of products - there is too many to choose from!

I think though that if you stick with the plain hoof oil for a while it might help. Does your farrier have any recommendations of products or ingredients?

You could try soaking her feet in water and then applying hoof oil to seal it in. I think i read somewhere that the oil is like a sealant so perhaps the hoof oil may be keeping the wet out? But then if you go to wet the feet the next day, i wonder would it soak in or get repelled by the oil?

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:37 am

I swear by Kevin Bacon hoof ointment! It's worked wonders on several horses at my yard!

Big Brown Horses

Postby Big Brown Horses » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm another fan of Kevin Bacon, but my farrier thinks it's not what you apply it's what you feed. I feed Formula for Feet and apply Kevin Bacon ointment with great results.

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Did you try Kevin Bacon in the end? I was just wondering whether it helped at all?

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:17 am

Absolute nightmare to get it off your hands, clothes etc. Some of the hoof moisturisers are quite good, but it's worth looking at reviews first!

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:27 am

Actually that's true Kaliska, one horse at my yard had very bad feet a couple of years ago and the owner was rubbing Cornucrescine into his coronet band every day. He is grey and there were big clumps of brown gunk stuck in the hair above his feet. It took a while to get rid of it.

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:34 pm

Yep, I'm never using it again after the marks it left last time! I now use a variety of different hoof moisturisers but only when absolutely necessary, because my horse is great at managing his own hooves and often stands in the water jump which must do them good in this hot weather!

Return to “GP surgery: health and veterinary chat”