Rider Only Insurance

Riveting? Nope. Essential? Oh, yes! Discuss insurance, transport and stabling
BellaII

Rider Only Insurance

Postby BellaII » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:42 pm

Hi,

I've just started riding regularly again after a 10-year break and have been wondering what to do about insurance. I know if I re-join the BHS I'll get the rider insurance as part of my membership (on Gold cover) but is this the best deal/cover and company to go for?

Has anyone else got experience of the other insurers out there? Or is the BHS worth it because you are then supporting them and all they do for horsey life?

Many thanks!

lemmethink

Re: Rider Only Insurance

Postby lemmethink » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:04 pm

I was a BHS member for years when I didn't have a horse, but now that I do I have riding club membership instead. I feel like I am supporting the horse industry with the riding club - the BHS does do a lot, but something like £9 from my riding club membership goes to them anyway. Are you covered when you are riding at a licensed riding school?

BellaII

Postby BellaII » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:34 pm

I don't know what you are covered for - would you have to sue them and prove negligence? That would be really horrible as I really like where I ride from!

But, also, I'm hoping to have one of their ponies on a share arrangement where I would be able to ride and hack independently rather than in an organised group and so was thinking that maybe I would then fall outside the normal riding school insurance arrangements - especially when hacking. The stables are right next to a forestry area so excellent hacking but very popular with walkers, bicycles, familes, dog walkers and Joe Public in general so what if it were not me that got damaged but someone, their bike, dog or even the pony?

Soraya_H&R_AssistEd

Postby Soraya_H&R_AssistEd » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:50 am

BHS Gold Membership provides third party liability cover for any horse that you are riding so people that you might come across while out hacking, but it won't cover veterinary bills if the horse gets injured! It would be worth checking before you sign the share agreement who is responsible for insuring the horse and what the horse is insured for.
Follow [url]http://www.twitter.com/HR_insider[/url] for the latest news, gossip and diary dates from the UK's No.1 best-selling equestrian monthly magazine
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1082166_e0beba118d.jpg[/img]

redkitten

Postby redkitten » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:01 pm

"i've been on my share a little while now, the owner pays for everything, i pay a monthly contribution and my own insurance, regardless of wether i can go or not a nice clear contract for both of us. in return i ride out in excellent company over beautiful country on a little mare with more sense than i have. i'm gaining confidence and experience and some fantastic stories (like getting stuck between a barn and a transit van, the pony knew it was a bad idea, why didn't i listen?)

does anyone have advice on the insurance side specifically?"

Ahhhhh, thank you! more than i could get from the BHS, they didn't respond to my enquiries.

EquineCompare

Postby EquineCompare » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:20 pm

I am with Petplan you can compare prices for riding insurance here http://www.equinecompare.co.uk/ridingInsurance.php
EquineCompare.co.uk - the equestrian comparison site
Compare, shop and save on equestrian products and insurance

Horse Girl

Postby Horse Girl » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:30 pm

I took out cover with petplan. I know that Petplan are really good at paying out for cat and dog insurance whch is why i chose them. Also ther level of cover is abut the same as the BHS

Return to “Insurance, transport and stabling”