New to riding help -fell off

Searching for the right instructor? Need some schooling advice? Share your experiences and ask others for help
Tronniedave
The SECOND number please: 3

New to riding help -fell off

Postby Tronniedave » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:02 pm

Hi

I am new to riding and am in my 30s. Had my 5th riding lesson today and tried the Canter and subsequently fell off. It was a complete mess. I was using the reins to balance and putting the horse off, my stirrups were lost and I just could not find my balance or seat it was just so rocky and off I went. I got back on and the instructor advised me to hold the saddle and lean back still felt so strange!

I'm feeling a bit disheartened now :( how do you sit I think everything I did was wrong. Any advise greatly appreciated
Thanks

Kaliska

Re: New to riding help -fell off

Postby Kaliska » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Don't give up! Canter is hard to master - it might be worth asking the instructor about lunge lessons? Your seat and balance should be good before your instructor asks you to canter, but it sounds like they might have asked a bit soon, hence you tensed up, leant forward and fell off. Good luck!

Snipper

Re: New to riding help -fell off

Postby Snipper » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:25 pm

I agree that a lunge lesson might be good, then your instructor can control the speed and direction of the horse, while you concentrate on getting used to sitting to it. It's all about relaxing down into the saddle and absorbing the movement with your body, but it does take practice as it's hard to relax when you're doing something like that for the first time. Once you are able to sit to the canter consistently with both hands off the saddle, then you can take back the reins and do it all yourself. Once you get the hang of it, canter is lovely, I much prefer it to trotting!

Return to “Lessons and training”