pasture management

Ask one of our H&R Forum experts your horsey question and get advice you can trust
lynnorris
The SECOND number please: 3

pasture management

Postby lynnorris » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:43 pm

My horse is kept at a DIY livery yard and we have to manage our own fields. I have a large area of docks as well as the usual thistles, nettles and buttercups. How can I treat these weeds without damaging the pasture and my horse? I have heard that salt kills weeds and I have tried it on small areas with success, but will this prevent the grass from growing back? I can section off the affected areas if necessary.

Miranda

Re: pasture management

Postby Miranda » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi

I also have a big problem with docks and nettles. I use Headland Relay-P. It's a weedkiller especially for paddocks that kills weeds but doesn't affect grass. It's available online from a website called Progreen. It's quite expensive but lasts ages as you only need a tiny bit diluted in water. The downside is that you have to keep your horse off the area for 1 to 2 weeks. You could always do the paddock in 2 halves by dividing it with electric fencing though. Hope that helps!

Kaliska

Re: pasture management

Postby Kaliska » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:18 pm

It might be worth visiting your local country store or agricultural store as their staff should be trained to know what is safe and what isnt for horses and your grass!

Return to “Ask an expert”