saddle fitting help

Get advice on the right gear to buy for yourself and your horse, and offer horsey shopping hints to other riders
Laura Best
The SECOND number please: 3

saddle fitting help

Postby Laura Best » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi
I have an irish draught X garron who has a very flat back and barely any withers and I'm not sure if I should get a wide or extra wide saddle for her or what length to get as I've never had to buy a saddle before and I'm not sure what to look for to fit her. can anyone help?
oh and I can't afford to get a saddler out, I'm going to have to get one second hand. thanks c:
Laura

Kaliska

Re: saddle fitting help

Postby Kaliska » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:28 am

You really can't fit a saddle yourself safely, without it compromising your horse's health. Some saddlers do sell secondhand saddles, but it's not worth risking your pony's wellbeing to save a few £££s.

Laura Best
The SECOND number please: 3

Postby Laura Best » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:38 pm

that's the thing, I haven't been able to find one in my area that sells second hand saddles so I'm not sure what else to do, unless I'm wrong and anyone knows of saddlers around south lanarkshire that sell second hand? :/

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Don't know that area I'm afraid but saddle fitting is normally about £40-60 in my experience. Probably worth calling your local ones and asking if they have any secondhand saddles, or buy a new but non-leather one as they are cheaper.

Return to “Gear guide”