Where are all the horsey blokes?

Size 12 riding boots... A hat that fits properly... Riding schools with man-sized horses... This one's for you, guys!
Joel
The SECOND number please: 99

Re: Where are all the horsey blokes?

Postby Joel » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:39 pm

Hey everyone,

I know this thread's a bit old but as a newbie horsey bloke I thought this would be a good place to say hi :)

I've been taking lessons once a week for nearly 3 months now and noticing the limited male presence at the riding school I go to in Essex. I do feel a little out of place at times being male and being of south Asian origin, but I enjoy riding way too much to let it bother me! Anyways, would love to get to know more horsey ppl cos there aren't any in my circles of friends!

DarenC1

Postby DarenC1 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:13 pm

Different yard now, but still the only guy there!!

CookieComeTrue
The SECOND number please: 3

Postby CookieComeTrue » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:20 pm

My dad has been riding from the age of 3 and he's now in his 50s. He did some eventing and had a chestnut mare called Mary King IV who he lost at Burghley when I was 4

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:22 am

Welcome to the new horsey men! I've also moved yards but we do have two men there out of about ten of us. One owns the yard, and another has two horses though not seen him riding yet.

CookieComeTrue

Postby CookieComeTrue » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:02 pm

And where's all the mens equestrian clothing brands? Tottie and Toggi are only for girls.
I'm in year 11 at school and I'm on the equestrian team. It's an all-girls school but at all the events there are boys!

CookieComeTrue

Postby CookieComeTrue » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:07 pm

I'm in year 11 and I'm on the school equestrian team. Me and my horse enjoy going to compete with the school saddlecloth and it's not only girls who compete(even at an all-girls school we compete against the boys).
And what about all the male clothing brands. Tottie, Toggi, Caldene and others only sell girly riding clothes!

DarenC1

Postby DarenC1 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:32 pm

It is quite true that blokes do seem to be slightly less represented in magazines than the ladies! :P

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:32 am

You're probably right about magazines, but I guess the majority of readers are female and guys possibly tend to be more shy, not write in as much? So maybe the magazines are kind of caught in the middle a bit? Hard to know - why not send something in and see if you can be featured!

Druid Donagh MacBran

Postby Druid Donagh MacBran » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:44 pm

*Blows a layer of dust from this topic*

I am a new horsey bloke in the (mounting) block. I started riding in August and started volunteering at Kelburn Equestrian Centre in exchange for lessons. As far as I know there is a total of 4 males. 2 on the yard (a working pupil and I) and 2 riders (one adult and one kid) the rest are all female.
Kind regards,

Your Druid

Donagh MacBran
An Gheal Beaneaicht! (a very Bright Blessing!) /|\

[url=http://www.druiddonagh.co.uk]Druid Donagh[/url]

chuds

Postby chuds » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:55 pm

I am new to riding just started a couple of months ago, at 50 and on my own I have found that along with fulfilling a long held ambition riding has helped me re focus and find have something positive to look forward too each week. I have a fantastic instructor at Parbold equestrian, who has shown great patience !

Return to “Horsey blokes”