Learning to teach

Searching for the right instructor? Need some schooling advice? Share your experiences and ask others for help
ponyprincess

Learning to teach

Postby ponyprincess » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:50 am

On Monday I said I would help a friend with schooling her horse by giving her a 'kind-of' lesson. It was really hard! It's so difficult to explain exactly what you mean. When describing the aids for leg yield, plus the corrections necessary for her horse, I had to get on to show her because I just didn't have the words!

I have a completely new found respect for instructors. I am going to persevere with helping her out, because she said she found it useful anyway, but does anyone have any tips to help me along?! Teaching is so different from being able to do the riding yourself! I really had no idea! Stupid me! It's so obvious how different it is now!

Ps I've been in and watched so many lessons you'd think I'd be better at it, but apparently not!

hessy

Re: Learning to teach

Postby hessy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:18 pm

i think theres some people who know how to explain things in an easy way. i find it hard to explain things so not sure if id make a very good teacher lol!

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:01 pm

I am useless at explaining what I mean so I can't help with advice, but I definitely sympathise!
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:41 pm

I think it's just down to practice so keep at it!

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:16 am

After commenting on here, I agreed to give my friend a lesson the other day. One piece of advice that I learnt super quickly... Choose the most important thing and concentrate on it, you can work on the other things later but if you try to address them all at once the rider will be overwhelmed!
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

ponyprincess

Postby ponyprincess » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:16 am

Thanks guys. At least I know I'm not alone! Also will bear in mind the practice and not telling everything at once. Have taught her again and it went slightly better this time!

SpiritRider3101
The SECOND number please: 99

Postby SpiritRider3101 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:02 pm

Try teaching alongside an instructor, if you are unsure how to word something or what to say they can help you but not take over the lesson

Return to “Lessons and training”