sarcoids

Your horsey GP surgery: from worming and vaccination, to mud fever and laminitis
poppyandbea

sarcoids

Postby poppyandbea » Thu May 05, 2011 10:27 am

just wondered what every ones experiances with them are,
my mares been treated for them but has to have more treatment as the treatment has failed on her face, shes had pics sent to liverpool and is having liverpool cream at several diff doses including high strength but this failed first time.
i was also wondering if she could have developed them due to being run down as shes had hepatitis shes made a good recovery now but at one point it wasnt looking good but shes a real fighter and is now back in work and looks really good and is loving life a little bit too much
it was touch and go at one point as vets tried all sort of medication but thankfully her liver started working as.
i just wondered if this sarcoid treatment fails what other options are available shes only 7 and has been through so much already

Kaliska

Re: sarcoids

Postby Kaliska » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:59 am

Mine had sarcoids when I bought him, but they were only small and didn't impact him at all. I was told to feed cider vinegar and to use calendula cream on them.

Who knows why, but he now doesn't have them any more - am sure it wasnt the treatment as that had stopped by the point they disappeared. You're best off talking to your vets.

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Don't know much about sarcoids, but I do know that some can be a real problem. I think it depends on what type they are. I agree with Kaliska, you should probably chat to your vet, I'm sure there must be more than one treatment option.

DONMONTY2011
The SECOND number please: 3

Postby DONMONTY2011 » Mon May 14, 2012 11:15 am

HI
two of my horses have had them...my gelding had two small ones (10pence size) on his sheath and they were painful and he would kick out if you touched them plus he was swollen down there. So the vet reccomended I had them frozen off. It wasnt a nice experience the treatment was sprayed on under anesthetic and the next day he was very swollen and walking funny then they fell off. It took 4 weeks for him to heal and return to normal plus he was on box rest. (very extreme but effective) he had two small white scars nothing noticable.

My mare had a golf ball size in the centre of her belly when I bought her. It was treated with Liverpool Cream and for 2 months every week it was applied...I think one or two applications where missed because it swelled like a cone and had to be drained due to a blister infection occuring underneath the scab. The scarcoid was rejected from the body and looked like a horrible layered scab but she wasnt ever in pain...when it was swollen and infected the vet gave her anibiotic injection and power for week as well as Danolone same as Bute. Last week the ugly scab fell off she got wet in the field and it became soggy which did me a favour and it dropped slightly while she was lying down she knocked it off when she rolled then for one day it hanged by a tread the next day it was off. Yipee! It left a hole in her abondom about cm deep. yeah it bleed a little and it was red and bloody for few day...antibotics and some danolone for week did the trick. It is now healing well and is now the size of a 10pence pence flat healthly scab. This took 4months in total, long haul but worth it for my pretty chestnut irish draught. I think it will heal with a white circle or vet seems it unlikely to recover with her natural hair colour but its that small it doesnt both me.

Whatever you choose to use consult with your vet and no way is quick but it is costly.
good luck
if you have anymore questions please do.
emma

Absolute_shambles
The SECOND number please: 3

Postby Absolute_shambles » Wed May 23, 2012 11:29 am

Emma, What is Liverpool cream?

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Wed May 23, 2012 11:37 am

Found this online about Liverpool cream.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.33422 ... rcoids.pdf

Big Brown Horses

Postby Big Brown Horses » Fri May 25, 2012 1:38 pm

I think Liverpool Cream is only available through a vet. It’s quite an aggressive treatment as it burns the sarcoid - my friend mare was quite poorly with the swelling during the treatment. It did get rid of the sarcoid for s short time, but it did returned.

Snipper

Postby Snipper » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:52 pm

That sounds like nasty stuff to me!!!

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Do you have an update at all on whether the Liverpool cream worked for your mare?

RVNBSc
The SECOND number please: 99

Postby RVNBSc » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:24 pm

My Name is Hayley Rich; I am a 4th year BSc Veterinary Nurse. I am inviting you to participate in a research study titled “Owner Perception in the Topical Treatment of Sarcoids: Liverpool Creams Versus Toothpaste”. This study is being conducted as part of the final year of a BSc in Veterinary Nursing at The Royal Veterinary College.

In this study, you will be asked to complete an online survey consisting of 3 questions about your horse/pony, 3 questions of diagnosis and placement of the sarcoid(s) and 8-13 questions on treatment options and your opinion on them. The questions are a mixture of yes/no or circle most appropriate.

Your participation in this study is voluntary and you are free to withdraw your participation from this study at any time. The survey should take only 5-10 minutes to complete. There is also a chance to win a £50 Voucher for Robinsons Equestrian by taking part if an email address is provided at the end of the survey.

This survey has been approved by the ethical committee at the Royal Veterinary College. There are no risks associated with participating in this study. The survey collects no identifying information of any respondent. All of the response in the survey will be recorded anonymously. All data collected will be stored according to the Data Protection Act.

While you will not experience any immediate direct benefits from participation, information collected in this study may benefit horses in the future by improving the understanding how effective toothpaste is as a sarcoid treatment and may lead to further study and the potential for new treatments.

If you have any questions regarding the survey or this research project in general, please contact Hayley Rich at [email protected].

By completing and submitting this survey, you are indicating your consent to participate in the study. Your participation is appreciated.

Hayley Rich
4th Year Bsc Veterinary Nurse
The Royal Veterinary College
Hawkshead Lane
Hatfield
AL9 7TA

Please click on the survey link below and provide us with your expletive.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FS69NZG

This invitation does not imply any endorsement of the survey research and/or its findings. The survey contents and findings are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting the survey

Return to “GP surgery: health and veterinary chat”