ASK THE EXPERTS

Searching for the right instructor? Need some schooling advice? Share your experiences and ask others for help
CookieComeTrue
The SECOND number please: 3

Re: ASK THE EXPERTS

Postby CookieComeTrue » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:07 pm

I really want to try some showjumping and eventing with my horse, but all he's done is dressage and showing! He'll jump over about 75cm easily. How should I progress him?

Dictionary2000
The SECOND number please: 99

Postby Dictionary2000 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:11 pm

Hi :)

I am 12 years old and have only had one riding lesson, in which I learnt to walk and trot with leadrope. i have since been to my friends' farm, where she has several horses I can ride, and I have ridden without leadrope.
I am considering starting to canter in the Easter holidays, has anybody got any tips, for cantering, halting and steering with a bitless bridle?

Thanks

indie<3

ASK THE EXPERTS

Postby indie<3 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:33 am

Im 13 and my mum is in her 40s, we recently bought a 15.2 mare. Shes 5 years old and really sweet. She has a lot of potental and has done eventing and hunting but we dont seem to be getting anywhere! (When we do we can barley walk after) We used to have lessons at a riding school on their horses but since buying her we have stayed at home. We can both walk, trot, canter etc on her but she is alot much leg. The only time we have managed to keep her in the canter for more then one lap of the school is when she spooked really badly. We use a crop on her shoulder (Her previous owner said not on the back end) but that just gives her a spurt for a few strides and then she will slow down. We have also tried to keep her more entertain as she is young (Jumps, poles, cones, hacking, riding in a field not the school) but it doesnt really make that much of a diffrence! We only ride her for about an hour a day - until we have achieved something. Our Legs ache so much after riding and sometimes i feel like i havn't done my best on her. Help!!! What can we do?

AmyParker

Postby AmyParker » Wed May 29, 2013 8:02 am

My 16h thoroughbred is great in flatwork , however when I start jumping its a different story ! He lacks impulsion and sometimes refuses. Unlike most horses he doesn't get excited at a jump if anything he slows down! I have tried carrying a whip , or giving him a big kick but he than just goes flat-out towards a jump a doesn't jump it as well. Any suggestions of what to do would be a great help, thanks .

Expert_LizPitman

Postby Expert_LizPitman » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi Amy,

I'd start by getting your horse thoroughly checked physically by a qualified and recommended physio or chiropractor. Get his teeth checked too, and make sure his saddle fits him well and has been reflocked properly and recently. Ride in a really mild bit, and maybe try some different ones or even bitless, to make sure it's not a dislike of the bit that's stopping him going forwards. It sounds to me like he's saying 'I can't' rather than 'I won't'. Get rid of the whip and go easy with your leg aids - if he has negative associations with jumping for some reason adding pain through smacks and kicks won't make him think any better of it.

Once he's passed his MOT and you're sure he's comfortable with his tack, if you're still having problems I'd get a good instructor - the emphasis is on good - to watch you jumping and see if there is anything s/he can see. It's possible that you're so sure he'll stop that you're pushing, which might in itself be blocking him, or that you're holding your reins in such a way as he's getting a pull in the mouth which would slow him down.

The other avenue is to call out a behaviour trainer (so someone like me) who can watch what's going on see where the cause is likely to lie. Send me a message and let me know where you are if you want a name.

My first guess would be something physical or tack though, so I'd check all that first.

Dusty

Postby Dusty » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:22 am

My pony Dusty (who is 13.2hh) always squeals at mares and foals, stallion but is like "whatever" with geldings. She is only four and a mare. I really want to compete on her but I'm worried about riding her with other horses (even geldings!)

Do you have any tips for riding her with other horses.

P.s - I think she is like this because she is in season but I'm not sure.
:|

FurryFlicka

Postby FurryFlicka » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:39 pm

My horse can't seem to digest haylage, or anything sugary e.g. molasses. This also means that when the fresh grass comes through, it comes straight through her and her back legs and tail are a state! Is there anything I can do to help stop this?? Currently she is fed every morning on 1 scoop of leisure mix, 1 scoop of chaff and 1 scoop of sugarbeet, as well as cod liver oil and garlic for her joints and fly repellant. At night she has a net of hay spread on the floor in her stable, and she is out during the day.
[color=#FF4080]Flicka[/color] [color=#800080]- you set my soul so [/color] [color=#FF4080]free [/color][color=#800080]you're like some[/color] [color=#FF4080] miracle[/color][color=#800080] an[/color][color=#FF4080] angel[/color][color=#800080] sent to me[/color]

JessD

ASK THE EXPERTS

Postby JessD » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:59 pm

My friends own a gelding and mare who have happily lived together for 6 months now. I exercise them from time to time and recently something terrible happened. The owners and I were worried that the horses needed more horsey friends as they were often alone in a field with no other horses in sight and would cause a problem when one had to be separated from the other ie riding. The gelding is very gentle and has never caused any issues with another horse. He occasionally bugs the mare who just flattens her ears and runs off. We were informed that the horses had now been moved in with more mares. So now 3 mares and the gelding. Which we didn't think was a great idea but trusted the yard that they knew what they were doing. A few days ago a fight broke out between an older mare (35) and the gelding. No one saw it happen but the mare had broken ribs and a few scratches from bite on her stomach area and sadly one huge gash bite mark on her neck which she bled out of and died. He was covered in blood and had no signs of injury. The question we have is- is this unusual behavior for a horse? Especially a fight to the death situation. Could it have been one lucky shot that killed her. Could this have been prevented and if so what should we do now. The other people at the yard want him thrown out the yard or put down. Surely this is just natural. Or should we be worried that there is something wrong with this 10 year old gelding? Could the owners be held accountable for this death or is it the yards fault. Any answers would put us at ease. We love him too much to just put him down. He isn't aggressive towards humans or other animals. But has recently shown anxiety issues. Please help!

Kind regards
JessD

Return to “Lessons and training”