Worming.

Your horsey GP surgery: from worming and vaccination, to mud fever and laminitis
Sinead Davis

Worming.

Postby Sinead Davis » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:59 pm

I haven't wormed my horse since I got her.. I know it sounds bad but honestly I muck out her field and keep an eye on her, incase she acts differently or loses weight quickly.
I've never noticed any signs of worms at all, and she seems healthy, but should she be wormed even if her fields are being cleaned out?, I didn't get a record of worming from her previous owner so I didn't know where to start...

Snipper

Re: Worming.

Postby Snipper » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:32 am

I'd definitey keep some kind of worming regime as you may not necessarily realise your horse has worms and they can cause a lot of long term damage internally. I'd start by taking a poo sample to your vet for a worm egg count. Tape worms won't show up on this so you need a blood test too which I'd definitely consider if you don't know anything about her worming history. Then once you have the results of those, your vet will be able to tell you whether you need to worm and what would be the best wormer to use.

HadrianEquine
The SECOND number please: 99

Postby HadrianEquine » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:12 am

Does everyone know the dangers of ENCYSTED red worm..?
ESRWs are one of the most common and harmful worms found in horses... They bury into the lining of the gut and can lie dormant for a long time! What's the best wormer to kill encysted red worm and when do we worm to be the most effective...
Has anyone ever had a problem with theses??? For more info check out.. Www.hadrianequine.co.uk

EmilyDrake
The SECOND number please: 99

Postby EmilyDrake » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:46 pm

At our yard we always use Pramox in the winter, but for the rest of the year we use a worm count kit from www.equinewormcount.co.uk saved a fortune on wormers that were not needed. Jess :D

Return to “GP surgery: health and veterinary chat”