Does the Bit that a horse wears effect its performance ?

Ask one of our H&R Forum experts your horsey question and get advice you can trust
A.DuncanEventing
The SECOND number please: 99

Does the Bit that a horse wears effect its performance ?

Postby A.DuncanEventing » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:51 pm

Hello,
My name is Annabel and I own horses which I event. I am starting an extended project for one of my AS level options. My question is 'How Does the tack and bit that a horse wears affect its performance?' If anyone has any opinion on this question I would love to hear from you as I need plenty of different opinions for my research and write up. I am going to be carrying out an investigation to prove whether a certain combination of bridle and bit works better than others. Of course I can't test every combination of bit, nose band, breast plate or martingale but I have chosen a few which cover the overall bit groups which I hope will give me a wide range of results to make a conclusion on. I am going to be carrying this out in an outdoor arena with just a cross pole which I will jump three times in a circuit, timing each full circuit to measure the time that it takes me to compete the whole circuit and then I am going to have someone measure the distance between the take off point and the landing point. Finally I am going to comment on my jump saying whether I had enough control or not and how I thought the striding into the fence was. I will be using a snaffle, Dutch gag and finally a Pelham. I will be using these bits without a nose band or a martingale, then with a nose band and no martingale, then no nose band but a martingale and finally both a nose band and a martingale. I understand that this is just based on one horse's response to the different combinations but I would love to hear expletive as to whether you think this is a good way to investigate or if you have any ideas or changes to my investigation to get more accurate and reliable results.
Thank you in advance.

Return to “Ask an expert”